Find out what qualifications are required to undertake doctoral study at Victoria University of Wellington.
Academic qualification prerequisites
Holding a prerequisite qualification does not guarantee you admission to a doctoral programme at Victoria University of Wellington. Acceptance as a doctoral candidate will depend on your background and the availability of supervision in the area of your research interests.
New Zealand university qualifications
Applicants who have studied at a university in New Zealand will need:
- a Bachelor's degree with Honours or a Master's degree with a GPA* of no less than 6 (letter grade B+), or
- approved evidence of adequate training and ability.
You must provide certified copies of academic transcripts for any qualifications not awarded by Victoria University or Wellington.
Master's thesis students enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington may also be able to upgrade to a PhD.
* The GPA calculation will depend on your pre-requisite degree.
International applicants are expected to have equivalent qualifications to those required of New Zealand applicants:
- Applicants who have a four year Bachelor’s degree graded in a four point GPA system should have a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0.
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree graded in the British system, including India, must be awarded the degree with first or upper second-class Honours.
For some programmes evidence of relevant work or research experience may be necessary.
Applicants whose first language is not English must also meet the English language requirements below.
You must provide certified copies of academic transcripts for all qualifications except those you have obtained at Victoria University of Wellington.
English language requirements
Victoria University of Wellington's English language requirements are not negotiable.
If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English proficiency before you will be accepted as a PhD candidate. Minimum requirements are:
- TOEFL 90 points on the internet-based test with a minimum of 20 in writing, or
- IELTS overall band of 6.5, no sub-score below 6, or
- a minimum of two ratings of 5 and two ratings of 4 in the Victoria University of Wellington English Proficiency Programme test, or
- Pearson Test of English, with a score of 58 (with a communicative score of not less than 50).
- Find out more about English language requirements and other important things to consider for international students.
In addition to formal qualifications and competence in English, various qualities will help ensure your success:
- a strong interest in a substantial research project
- persistence in the face of setbacks
- willingness to respond effectively to advice and criticism
- ability to work independently
- willingness to work within the scholarly tradition
- stable financial and personal circumstances
- good writing ability.