See what's coming up in our regular series of workshops.
The Faculty of Graduate Research offers a number of workshops for Doctoral candidates during the year presented by international presenters and Victoria staff members. Participating in the workshops introduces you to new ideas and strategies, enables you to network with other doctoral candidates and provides a break from your daily routine of working in the lab or your office.
Registering to attend
You will need to use the links on the Events section of our website to register for the workshops. If you find that you cannot attend, please remember to withdraw so that another student can take your place. You can withdraw simply by clicking on the link in the registration confirmation email you’ll receive.
Regular Wednesday workshops
Workshops are normally scheduled every third Wednesday of the month from 10.30am–12.00 noon. Workshop details will be posted on the FGR website under the Events section of our website and emailed to all enrolled PhD candidates at the start of each month. Here is the full listing of Wednesday workshops for 2019:
- Academic Writing Strategies (January)
- Preparing for the Oral Defence (February, September)
- Formulating Good Research Questions (March)
- Core Skills for Presenting Research (April)
- Managing Documents and Storing Data (May)
- Doctoring the Job Search (June)
- Preparing Ethics Applications (July)
- Thesis Writing (August)
- Editing your Writing (October)
- Being Strategic about Publishing (November)
- Working a Conference … Networking like a Pro (December)
Workshops presented by visiting speakers
Maria Gardiner and Hugh Kearns from ThinkWell Australia, Nick Hopwood from the University of Technology, Sydney and Margaret Kiley from the Australian National University offer workshops for doctoral candidates and academic staff throughout the year. Details of upcoming workshops are posted on the Events section of our website and emailed to all enrolled PhD candidates at the start of each month. Workshop topics in 2019 are likely to include:
- Turbocharge your writing
- Cognitive behavioural coaching for high performers
- The imposter syndrome
- Narrative Ninja
- Shameless self-promotion
- The 7 secrets of highly successful PhD students
- Planning your PhD
- Making time for research
- Writing amazing abstracts
- Publishing and peer review
- What are examiners thinking?