Find out about the attendance requirements for international students

International PhD students pay the same tuition fees as New Zealand students. In order to be eligible for domestic fee status, international students are required (under Tertiary Education Commission funding rules ENR006 and ENR007) to be resident in New Zealand during their studies.

New Zealand’s universities have agreed to interpret the government’s funding rules as meaning that international PhD students must not be absent from their university for approved research purposes for more than 12 months in total during their doctoral studies.

If you do need to leave Wellington for research purposes please read our information on conducting research away from Victoria.