Victoria Abroad

Withdrawal Procedure

This procedure applies to all Victoria University of Wellington students who have been accepted on to Victoria Abroad and wish to withdraw from the programme after they have been nominated.

The withdrawal process is in line with the Victoria University of Wellington Fees Statute.

Victoria University of Wellington Official Withdrawal Deadlines.  

If you withdraw from the Victoria Abroad Exchange Programme your responsibilities include:

  1. Notify the Student Exchange Coordinator at Victoria International as soon as possible about your intention to withdraw by sending an email to We recommend you come to Victoria International to discuss the issues you may be facing before making the final decision. The Student Exchange Coordinator will provide any support necessary to help you make the final decision.

  2. Complete the Victoria Abroad Withdrawal Survey to officially withdraw from the programme. The Student Exchange Coordinator will then officially withdraw your application and notify the host university.

  3. Travel Grant If you have already received a travel grant from Victoria International, you will be required to repay the grant. Extenuating circumstances in accordance to the VUW Fees Reconsideration Policy will be taken in to consideration as to whether this will be enforced e.g. serious personal illness or injury, or serious personal circumstances. Official documentation supporting your reason for withdrawing is required, e.g. doctors/counsellors certificate, death certificate.

  4. Exchange Code - Enrolment Liaise directly with the relevant Faculty at Victoria University to withdraw from the Exchange Code if this has already been enrolled in.

  5. StudyLink Liaise with StudyLink and Student Finance ( and inform them about the withdrawal if you have already submitted the StudyLink Overseas Study Application Form and if you have withdrawn late, as this may impact your eligibility for a Student Loan

  6. Late withdrawal If you withdraw from your exchange after the free withdrawal period, you may be charged the respective tuition fees.

    If you withdraw late due to extenuating circumstances and wish to apply for fees reconsideration, you must follow the VUW Fees Reconsideration Procedure and liaise with the relevant Faculty to apply for a Fees Reconsideration. In this case, you will be required to complete an application form and attach a written statement explaining your circumstances as well as official documentation supporting your reasons for withdrawing. The Faculty Manager will consider whether you are eligible for a full or partial refund.

    It is your responsibility to apply for a Fees Reconsideration and further details about the Victoria late withdrawal and fees reconsideration policies can be found here.

  7. After you withdraw After completing the withdrawal process, you will be responsible for selecting courses at Victoria University of Wellington to enrol in with your relevant Faculty, for the next available trimester. If you wish to go on exchange at a later date, you must resubmit a Victoria Abroad application in full to be considered in a future section round.


Insurance Requirements

What do I need to factor in when purchasing insurance?

You must have comprehensive travel and medical insurance which will:

  • Cover you from when you leave home to when you return home.
  • Cover any additional trips while on exchange.
  • Cover holidays back to New Zealand/your home country.
  • Cover sports activities – if applicable

Does my host university have any special requirements for my insurance?

Please check if your host university requires you to purchase a specific insurance policy, and if so, what is covered by the policy – you may need to purchase additional insurance to meet the minimum provisions listed below.

What are the minimum provisions my insurance policy must cover?

  • Medical – Cover should include GP visits and prescriptions, major hospitalization, optical cover,  emergency dental cover -  Cover for treatment following an accident, and emergency services such as ambulance and paramedics. It is preferable that no excess is applied to medical claims.
  • Emergency evacuation/repatriation - this should include travel for medical professionals and family members who may need to fly to the country of study to accompany you home. “Unlimited cover” is ideal, as very large sums can be incurred in these situations.
  • Accompanying relative cover - Should you become seriously ill or die during the period of exchange, the insurance policy should pay for your parents/guardian to fly to the host country on the first available flight. The accompanying relative cover should also include day to day accommodation and reasonable living costs in your country of study; travel home and back to your country of study for you if a member of your immediate family becomes ill or dies; mental illness (medical costs and repatriation)
  • Personal Liability Cover – NZ$ 1,000,000 minimum limit to cover accidental damage you may cause to other people’s property while you are away.
  • Travel insurance should cover:
    • loss or damage to baggage and other personal effects
    • loss or theft of tickets, money and travel documents
    • accident and injury
    • disruption to travel plans
    • lower excesses are also preferred
    • cost of medical care in any “stopover” countries

Victoria Abroad preferred insurance providers

Insurance Provider

Policy Name

* None of these policies provide cover for pre-existing conditions unless they meet certain criteria outlined in the policy wording. Make sure you contact whichever provider you choose should you have a pre-existing condition. Also be sure to cover any additional travel you may undertake before, after, or during your exchange.
*Information current as of December 2014

STA Comprehensive Travel Insurance Allianz



Southern Cross



Comprehensive Overseas Travel Insurance

International Student Insurance – Continuity of Cover

  • If you have a pre-existing condition and have been covered under Studentsafe while at Victoria, it is strongly recommended that you continue with you Studentsafe policy while on exchange.
  • In case you break the period of cover with Studentsafe-University and then resume cover under this policy, “any medical condition which is found to have developed during the period which you were not covered by Studentsafe would be deemed to be a pre-existing condition and would therefore not be covered.”
  • Student Safe University Insurance Ltd has a policy entitled Studentsafe Offshore which has been designed specifically for those students who study outside of New Zealand as part of their degree. Information on this policy may be found at

If you have any questions, please contact or drop-in during office hours:
Monday 2pm - 4pm, Wednesday   10am - 12pm, Thursday  2pm - 4pm

Your insurance policy should be from a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the travel and medical insurance business, and who has an excellent credit rating, no lower than A from Standard and Poor’s, or B+ from AM financial market intelligence companies. Be sure to read the wording of whichever policy you choose carefully.

Application Deadlines

10 July - For exchange in Trimester 1 of the following year.


1 December - For exchange in Trimester 2 of the following year.


Some Host Universities have a yearly intake only and will require you apply by December 1 for exchange during Trimester 2 the following year or Trimester 1 the year after that. Please check the notes under you chosen universities to see if this applies to you. e.g. University of British Columbia (UBC), Waseda University, Dalhousie Law, University of Victoria, Osaka University.

Missed the Victoria Abroad application deadline?

If you have missed the deadline, don't despair! Contact Victoria Abroad as you may be able to submit a late application. Please note that there may not be places still available at your proposed host universities, so you may need to be flexible with your exchange plans.