The Confucius Institute at VUW is staffed by both Victoria and Xiamen Universities. Our Advisory Board meet regularly to plan new projects.
The Confucius Institute at VUW is staffed by both Victoria and Xiamen Universities.
Victoria University appointed Ms Rebecca Needham as Director of the Confucius Institute; Xiamen University appointed Professor Zhao Yezhu as the Deputy Director, while Ms Lu Chunxiao has been seconded by Hanban as a Chinese Teacher. In addition to its regular staff the Institute benefits from the support it receives from its art advisor, Dr Luo Hui, also a number of people from the Chinese community in Wellington who manage the Discover China workshops.
Its Advisory Board, which is chaired by New Zealand’s former Ambassador to China, Tony Browne, has senior staff from both universities, led by Pro Vice-Chancellor, Professor Jennifer Windsor, and Vice-President of Xiamen University, Professor Zhan Xinli. The Advisory Board meets at least twice a year to review work-in-progress, plan new projects, and discuss personnel and budgetary issues.
- Mr Tony Browne, Chair
- Professor Zhan Xinli, Co-Chair, Vice-President of Xiamen University
- Professor Jennifer Windsor, VUW Pro Vice Chancellor, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Dr Matthew O'Meagher, VUW Assistant Vice-Chancellor, International Engagement
- Mr Mao Tongwen, Director International Co-operation of Xiamen University
- Professor Wang Yiyan, VUW Chinese Programme Director, School of Languages and Cultures
- Mr Chen Yue, Education Counsellor, Embassy of the People’s Republic of China
- Mr Jeff Johnstone, Director Education, Asia New Zealand Foundation
- Ms Li Ying, Chinese Programme, Te Kura Correspondence School