China Scholarships Council
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and Victoria University of Wellington (VUW) agree to collaborate on a designated doctoral (PhD) program which is offered to excellent students. Selected Chinese students will enrol at VUW and undertake study. If the selected Chinese students successfully complete the requirements of the designated program and defend their dissertation, they will be conferred degrees by VUW.
Victoria University is now taking applications for the CSC/VUW scholarships
- Applicants are required to complete and submit an application for PhD admission either for the 1 July or 1 November application round. In order to allow sufficient time to get an offer from the University applicants should apply to either of these two rounds.
- It is important to ensure all documentation, including the referees’ statements, is received by the Faculty of Graduate Research before the designated closing date.
- Victoria University will assess your application for admission and make an offer to all suitable candidates. Victoria University will also help you find a supervisor. Applicants are welcome to contact potential supervisors prior to applying if they wish but this is not essential - please refer to the Directory of Research Expertise. School postgraduate coordinators will advise whether your preferred research area can be supported. A list of postgraduate coordinators for each school is available on the Faculty of Graduate Research website.
- To ensure any offer is unconditional it is important to provide all the application material by the due date. This offer can be used as part of your application to CSC. Applicants must submit a scholarship application to CSC or work with their home university to submit an application to CSC.
- 5. Successful applicants for PhD admissions will be notified by Victoria University and an offer forwarded to each applicant. Successful recipients of a CSC scholarship will be notified by CSC.
- Visit the Faculty of Graduate Research website for a list of the documents that you need submit to Victoria University for admission into the PhD programme.
Admission requirements for the PhD Programme
- The completed application form
- Your academic transcripts and degree certificates
- A statement of research interests - this document is detailed in section 5.1 of our Application Form
- An example of academic writing in English
- Your English language proficiency score (if this is not available any offer would be conditional)
- Two academic recommendations from your Professors provided on this template pdf189KB
CSC and VUW agree to collaborate on a designated doctoral (PhD) program which is offered to excellent students. For successful candidates, VUW will provide tuition fee waiver scholarships up to 48 months. CSC will consider the applications of those receiving these VUW awards for living expenses as prescribed from time to time by the Chinese government (which includes student health insurance), a "round" trip airfare to Wellington by the most economical route and visa application fees.
Mr Dong Zhixue
Deputy Director, Division of American and Oceanian Affairs
Level 13, Building A3
No. 9 Chengongzhuang Avenue
Admissions and Scholarships
Faculty of Graduate Research
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5113
Fax: +64 4 463 6480
More information on the CSC/VUW scholarship can be found on the the CSC website (Chinese).