The School of Architecture is involved in local and international cutting-edge design and research.
Academic staff and postgraduate students at the Faculty of Architecture and Design engage in individual and group research projects that cover a wide range of topics in Architecture, Building Science, Interior Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
School research areas:
- architectural and urban design processes
- building economics, management and regulation
- building performance and evaluation
- drawing and modelling for design
- energy and environmental building design
- sustainable architecture
- urban landscapes
- virtual design visualisation.
Recent research has focussed on:
- building control reform
- building performance, construction and project management
- New Zealand architecture and design history
- the development of participatory processes in architectural practice
- the efficient use of energy in architecture
- the evaluation of buildings in use.
Staff and students
Our new in-take of postgraduates in the School of Architecture play a vital role in developing high quality research outputs. Our staff supervise students across a wide variety of thesis topics. In many cases research findings are presented at national and international conferences. Many postgraduates have become industry leaders in their chosen field.
Our staff publish a wide variety of scholarly articles, books, case studies, chapters, edited collections, monographs, reports and conference papers.
Further information on staff research interests and publications can be found on our staff profiles.
Seminars and events
The research culture is enriched by regular seminars and lectures held on campus in topics relating to the built environment and associated professions. Many of these events are open to staff, students and the public.
Our research centres are well established in the School and act as a vehicle for collaborative research and as a resource to our postgraduate students and staff.
Please contact our research portfolio manager for information related to the School of Architecture.