M.Arch, B.Des, Victoria University of Wellington
Tane’s research spans the fields of Architectural Design, VFX and Architectural Visualisation
- Virtual Reality/ Mixed Reality/ Augmented Reality
- Serious Games
- Parametric Design
- Architectural/ Design Education
Current Research Projects
DIGITAL CREATIVITY: Contemporary technologies in architectural pedagogy/ society/
As computation gains an ever significant role in contemporary society, this field of research delves into how visualisation and architectural design might be utilised within the fields of Architecture and Design.
Additive Manufacture, Subtractive Modelling, VR/ AR, Robotics, and parametric design are being introduced into schools globally. This research aims to find ways to embed these technologies within the classroom. The second and potentially more fundamental aspect of this research is understanding how sharing, swapping, augmenting, collaborating and altering occurs in digital environments and how this might be leveraged to produce more sophisticated or significant design outcomes.
DIGITAL EPHEMERA: Real time events in virtual environments
User participation in game environments has seen a huge increase in the last few years. Smartphone games, apps, digital media, online entertainment have reached such widespread penetration in society that we might re-consider whom indeed are the worlds ‘digital natives’ and whom, are the ‘digital migrants’?
It is worth also considering, how much time can be spent virtually and what is our experience of this ‘space’. The use of game engines in architectural design has seen an increase in interest following the availability of consumer grade VR Equipment and the ‘open-sourcing’ of game development software. This body of research examines how the ability to enable ‘real time’ events within RTVE allows for a more sophisticated inhabitation of virtual space.
SMARTCITIES: VR/MR/AR and Visualising Big Data
Monitored and tracked perpetually, our activities and habits are being collected to help build better urban environments. Architects are principally interested in refining the built environment which sees an increasing interest in the area of Big Data. One of the issues that arises is finding a common language between the organisations that collect and those that use the data to effect change in form or behaviour. This research proposes that Architects are uniquely equipped to spatialize this data in ways that make movement and patterns more evident for Architects, Government Agencies and Industry alike.
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Teng Wen Chang, Daekwon Park: Computational and Generative Design for Digital Fabrication: Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA)” in Automation in Construction (AUTCON). Volume 72, Part 1, Pages 1-64 edited by Chang,Teng Wen; Moleta, Tane Jachob; Park, Daekwon;, 12/2016; Elsevier B.V..
- Teng-Wen Chang, Tane J. Moleta, Daskwon Park: COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN in the past, present and future of digital architecture. Automation in Construction 12/2016; 72:1-2., DOI:10.1016/j.autcon.2016.10.006
- TJ Moleta: Game on: Exploring constructive design behaviors through the use of real-time virtual engines in architectural education. International Journal of Architectural Computing 09/2016; 14(3):212-218., DOI:10.1177/1478077116663341
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Cyrus Qureshi: CityAR: Wellington. A Collaborative Future for NZ Manufacturing and Design. 3rd Annual Conference on Manufacturing and Design in New Zealand (MaD2018), Auckland, New Zealand; 05/2018
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Brandon Wang, Marc Aurel Schnabel: Cognitive Loads in VR and VR Visualisations. Proceedings of Manufacturing and Design, New Zealand (MaD2018), Auckland, New Zealand; 05/2018
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Karwing Leung, Marc Aurel Schnabel: Designing RealTime lighting visualisation for urban environments. Proceedings of Manufacturing and Design, New Zealand (MaD2018), Auckland, New Zealand; 05/2018
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Mizuho Nishioka, Marc Aurel Schnabel: Soft Infrastructure: Use of Real Time Virtual Engines and Big Data to Enable Robust Public Consultation on Urban Infrastructure Projects. Moving Images - Static Spaces: Architectures, Art, Media, Film, Digital Art and Design [AMPS], Istanbul; 04/2018
- Daniel Innes, Tane Jachob Moleta, Marc Aurel Schnabel: Virtual Inhabitation and Creation: A Comparative Study of Interactive 1:1 Modelling as a Design Method. DADA 2017 International Conference on Digital Architecture: “Digital Culture”, Nanjing, China; 09/2017
- Tian Tian Lo, Marc Aurel Schnabel, Tane J Moleta: GAMIFICATION FOR USER-ORIENTED HOUSING DESIGN: A theoretical review. Protocols, Flows and Glitches, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA); 04/2017
- Tane Jachob Moleta: Digital Ephemera - Autonomous Real-Time Events in Virtual Environments. Protocols, Flows and Glitches, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA), Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Shuzho, China.; 04/2017
- Tian Tian Lo, Marc Aurel Schnabel, Tane J Moleta: Gamification For User-Oriented Housing Design: A Theoretical Review. 22nd CAADRIA Conference, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou, China; 04/2017
- Tane Jachob Moleta, James De Bono: Sentimentality and the Digital Expanse. SiGRADi 'CrowdThinking', Buenos Aires, Argentina; 10/2016, DOI:10.5151/despro-sigradi2016-792
- Tian Tian Lo, Marc Aurel Schnabel, Tane Moleta: A Simple System for Complex Mass Housing Design Collaborations A system development framework. Complexity & Simplicity - Proceedings of the 34th eCAADe Conference, Oulu, Finland; 08/2016
- T T Lo, M A Schnabel, T Moleta: Establish, Exchange and Engage: A Support System for Multiple Decisions to Co-produce. Design & Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning, 13th International Conference on Design & Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning, Harry Timmermans, Eindhoven,The Netherlands; 06/2016
- Tian Tian Lo, Marc Aurel Schnabel, Tane Moleta: Gamified Participation for Mass Housing Design. iiSBE Forum of Young Researchers in Sustainable Building 2016 Building Design and Operation, Prague, Czech Republic; 06/2016
- Serdar Aydın, Marc Aurel Schnabel, Tane Moleta: Transcoding of Game Design into Museology: An Object-Oriented Perspective. 2016 Design Communication European Conference, Istanbul, Turkey; 05/2016
- Timothy Voss, Tane Jachob Moleta: ANTHROPOCENTRIC Realtime data to encourage social interaction and way finding in mass transit spaces. Living Systems and Micro-Utopias: Towards Continuous Designing, Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2016), Melbourne, Australia; 03/2016
- Marc Aurel Schnabel, Serdar Aydin, Tane Moleta, Davide Pierini, Tomás Dorta: Unmediated Cultural Heritage via Hyve-3D. Living Systems and Micro-Utopias: Towards Continuous Designing, Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2016), Melbourne; 03/2016
- Tane Moleta: SPACE FOR GAMES Exploring Acquisition of Space Planning Skills through the use of Real Time Strategy Games. Real Time: Extending the Reach of Computation, Proceedings of the 33rd Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADe) Conference, Vienna; 09/2015
- Tane Jachob Moleta: FLOWING THROUGH SPACE Integration of game mechanics within the design studio. Emerging Experience in Past,Present and Future of Digital Architecture, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2015), Daegu, Korea; 05/2015
- Frano Bazalo, Tane J Moleta: RESPONSIVE ALGORITHMS An investigation of computational processes in early stage design. Emerging Experience in Past,Present and Future of Digital Architecture, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia CAADRIA 2015, Daegu, Republic of Korea; 05/2015, DOI:10.13140/RG.2.2.23500.41605
- Christopher Welch, Jules Moloney, Tane Jachob Moleta: SELECTIVE INTERFERENCE Emergent complexity informed by programmatic, social and performative criteria. Design Agency Proceedings of 2014 Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) Confrence, Los Angles, United Spates of America; 10/2014
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Jay Vaai, Jules Moloney: Integrating Project Management and Mobile Augmented Reality. Rethinking Comprehensive Design: Speculative Counterculture, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on ComputerAided Architectural Design Research in Asia CAADRIA 2014, Kyoto, Japan; 05/2014
- Krishna Duddumpudi, Jules Moloney, Tane Moleta: WHISPERING WALLS Cultural augmentation with augmented reality at a range of scales. Computation and Performance – Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe, (eCAADe), Delft, The Netherlands; 10/2013
- Tane Jachob Moleta, Achille Segard, Jules Moloney: OPEN COMMUNITITION Competitive Design in a Collaborative Virtual Environment. Open Systems: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2013) / Singapore 15-18 May 2013, pp. 231-240, Singapore; 05/2013
Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA)
Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADe)
International Journal of Automation in Construction (AUTOCON)
International Journal of Architectural Computing (IJAC)