Teaching in 2018
- as Course Lecturer
BSc Melbourne (1993); BSc(Hons) Newcastle (1994); PhD Edinburgh (2000)
- 2017-2019: International Scientific Programme Committee member, 27th General Assembly of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG), Montreal, Canada
- 2017-2019: Lead author, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC) [URL]
- 2011-2019: Secretary General of the International Association of Cryospheric Sciences (IACS) [URL]
- 2011-2019: Editor, Cambridge University Press, Special Publications of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
- 2015-2018: Council member, International Glaciological Society
- 2015: International Scientific Programme Committee member, 26th General Assembly of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG)
- 2015-ongoing: Member of the Visioning and Strategy Committee, International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG)
- 2015-ongoing: Review Editor and Editorial Board Member, Frontiers in Cryospheric Sciences
- 2014: Guest Editor, Antarctic Science Special Volume 26 dedicated to the career of Professor David Sugden, University of Edinburgh
- 2010-2014: Member of editorial board, Geology [URL]
- 2008-2014: National correspondent (New Zealand) for the International Glaciological Society [URL]
I lead a glacier research group in the Antarctic Research Centre. My aim is to understand the interactions between glaciers and the climate system. In particular, I use glaciological data and computer models to:
- interpret past climate changes on orbital to decadal timescales;
- predict future ice behaviour.
- Did a previous collapse of the Antarctic Ice Sheet cause abrupt climate change in the Southern Hemisphere? (PI, New Zealand Marsden Fund, Standard Grant, 960 k, 2018-2020)
- Impacts of climate change on New Zealand's frozen water resources (PI, Deep South National Science Challenge, Impacts and Implications Programme 2017-2019) [URL]
- Potential for non-linear, threshold-driven response of Antarctic outlet glaciers; insights from David Glacier, Antarctica (PI, New Zealand Antarctic Research Institute, 2017-2019)
- Antarctic influences on New Zealand climate during the Antarctic Cold Reversal (PI, New Zealand Antarctic Research Institute, 2015-2016)
- Constraining Antarctica’s contribution to past global sea level rise in Northern Victoria Land and the Western Ross Sea (AI, New Zealand Antarctic Research Institute, 2015-2016)
- 'Structure from Motion' as an addition to the end of summer snowline survey and New Zealand glacier monitoring. (AI, sub-contract from NIWA, 2014-2017)
- Attribution of New Zealand glaciers to climate change (PI, sub-contract from NIWA, 2013-2014)
- Palaeoclimate of the Southern Hemisphere. (AI, Chilean National Science Foundation project, led by Dr Maisa Rojas, University of Chile, 2014-2016)
- Will New Zealand glaciers keep advancing in a warming world (AI, NZ Marsden Fund, 2012-2014)
- Regional Climate Modelling; Predicting the future response of the New Zealand cryosphere (PI, sub-contract from NIWA, 2009-2016)
- East Antarctic ice sheet variability during the Last Glacial Termination (Objective leader, Past Antarctic Climate and Future Implications programme, 2015-2017)
- Modelling of Antarctic and New Zealand glaciations (PI, Eggers Fund, 2009-2012)
- Modelling New Zealand glacier fluctuations and past climate (PI, Supported by Comer Science and Education Fund, USA, 2008-2010)
- Temperature or precipitation; what drives Southern Hemisphere glacier fluctuations? (PI, NZ Marsden Fund, 2008-2009)
PhD students (current)
- Vargo, Lauren (2016-). Investigating modern climatic drivers of New Zealand glaciers.
- Whitmore, Ross (2016-). Holocene fluctuations of East Antarctic Ice Sheet outlet glaciers.
- Stutz, James (2016-). The last deglaciation in the Transantarctic Mountains and western Ross Sea.
- Esther van Dijk (2015-). Antarctic sea ice trends and variability.
PhD students (completed)
- Purdie, Heather (2011). Controls on spatial and temporal variation in snow accumulation on glaciers in the Southern Alps, New Zealand. Now a Lecturer at University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
- Fyke, Jeremy, (2011). Simulation of the global coupled climate/ice sheet system over millennial timescales. Now an ice sheet modeller at Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA.
- Doughty, Alice (2013). Inferring past climate from moraine evidence using glacier modelling. Now a Neukom Fellow at Dartmouth College, USA.
- Sattler, Katrin (2014). Periglacial preconditioning of debris flows in the Southern Alps, New Zealand. Currently at Ministry for Primary Industries, New Zealand.
- Eaves, Shaun (2015). The glacial history of Tongariro and Ruapehu volcanoes, central North Island, New Zealand. Currently a Research Fellow in the Antarctic Research Centre, Victoria University of Wellington.
- Jones, Richard-Selwyn (2015). Late Cenozoic behaviour of two Transantarctic Mountain outlet glaciers. Currently a Research Fellow in the Antarctic Research Centre, Victoria University of Wellington.
- Iribarren, Pablo Anaconda (2016). Hazardous geomorphic processes in the extratropical Andes with a focus on glacial lake outbursts floods. Currently a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Austral University of Chile.
Recent MSc students supervised
- Karen McKinnon - PhD at Harvard University, USA, now has a postdoctorate at Harvard
- Laura Kehrl - PhD student at the University of Washington, USA
- Rebecca O’Donnell - PhD student at the University of Western Australia
- Julia Collins
- Rory Hart
- Kolja Schaller
- Lawrence Kees
- Tom Paulin
- Andrew McCarthy
View a list of publications from Andrew Mackintosh.