University of Wellington—the opportunity
Below is a summary of the opportunity created by the move to University of Wellington*.
*The University is currently awaiting ministerial approval for a name change.
In New Zealand, the change to University of Wellington*:
- Emphasises ‘Wellington’ – the name we share with our city and region
- Creates an enduring sense of partnership and engagement with Wellington (we are a global-civic university)
- Enhances our role as New Zealand’s globally ranked capital city university (our point of difference)
- Allows the achievements of the University to build the reputation of the city and vice versa
- Contributes to a vibrant and successful Wellington that offers an outstanding enhanced student experience—this is critical to the University’s future.
Internationally, the change to University of Wellington*:
- Gives us an authentic and distinctive name that needs no further explanation in the over 100 countries in which our students and graduates live and work
- Helps us build our global reputation through having a distinctive name
- Enhances our ability to forge high quality international partnerships, recruit world-leading staff, grow the number of international students, and more effectively compete for international research funding as a result of a stronger global reputation
- Makes our brand stronger, enhancing our ability to compete against the international elite university brands (and their new models of delivery).