How to get to and between our campuses on foot, by bike, or on public transport.
It’s a 10–15-minute walk from the city centre to Kelburn Campus.
Shortcuts to the Kelburn Campus
Download these maps to see the pedestrian shortcuts from downtown Wellington to the Kelburn Campus.
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University of Wellington (front view)
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria Universityof Wellington (back view)
There are cycle racks and showers at all campuses.
Bicycle parking stands on the Kelburn Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Alan MacDiarmid—basement
- Easterfield—west (in front of Pharmacy)
- Kirk—north/east (Hunter Courtyard)
- Laby—under south end
- Murphy Building—east
- Rec Centre—west
- Tim Beaglehole Courtyard
- 83 Fairlie Terrace—west.
If you are a staff member and would like to access the secure cage in the basement of the Alan MacDiarmid Building, please contact Campus Security to get your staff card loaded to access the cage.
Bicycle stands on the Pipitea Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Government Building—east
- Rutherford House—west and basement.
For the safety of building occupants in an emergency and to prevent damage to paintwork and flooring, bicycles must not be kept in offices, corridors and access ways.
The cable car runs from the city to Kelburn every 10 minutes, and stops near the Kelburn Campus.
Bus or train
Buses and trains in Wellington are operated by Metlink. Visit their website for information on timetables and fares or phone 0800 801 700.
The Pipitea Campus is located at the Wellington Railway Station—also home to the central bus terminus.
All campuses are close to bus stops. There are timetables at two locations on the Kelburn Campus:
- Level 2, Student Union Building.
- Ground floor, Easterfield Building.
You can pay bus fares in cash, but if you regularly use the bus, it is cheaper to buy a Snapper card and load it up with credit. You can buy and top up Snapper cards at these locations on or near University campuses:
- VUWSA Reception, Level 4, Student Union Building, Kelburn campus.
- Freemans Lotto, Rutherford House, Pipitea Campus.
- Convenience stores and other retailers around Wellington—look for the Snapper logo.
You can check your balance and top up your Snapper card at Snapper kiosks located on campus and around Wellington. You can find Snapper kiosks on the three main campuses:
- Ground floor, Easterfield Building, Kelburn campus.
- Ground floor, Rutherford House, Pipitea campus.
- Te Aro campus, 139 Vivian Street.
Four bus routes stop at the Kelburn campus and can take you to most points in the city and to other University campuses in Wellington.
- No 18e—Miramar to Karori via Kilbirnie, Te Aro and Miramar campuses.
- No 21—Courtenay Place to Karori via the Kelburn and Te Aro campuses.
- No 22—Johnsonville to Pipitea campus (Wellington Railway Station central bus terminus) via Khandallah, Ngaio, Wilton, Mairangi, Northland and the Kelburn campus.
- No 37—Lambton Quay to Karori via the Kelburn campus.
There is also a journey planner on the Metlink website.
Route No 37 stops close to the Pipitea campus at the nearby Lambton Quay/Bowen St intersection.
Routes No 18e and No 21 stop on Ghuznee Street, close to the Te Aro campus on Vivian Street.
Metlink is the name for Greater Wellington’s public transport network. For timetables and information about bus, train and harbour ferry services in the Greater Wellington region go to www.metlink.org.nz or contact the Metlink Service Centre on 0800 801 700.