Pre-employment verification

If you are the preferred candidate for a job, we need to check your references and see some documents before hiring you.

Before we make a formal offer of employment we will contact your referees to check your references.

We also need to see original or certified copies of documents that verify your:

  • stated qualifications
  • eligibility to work in New Zealand (eg. birth certificate, citizenship papers, work visa)
  • licences, registrations, certificates or memberships necessary for the role, if any.

Certified documents

A certified true copy is a copy of a document that is stamped and signed as a true copy of the original by a person who is allowed to take declarations as specified under New Zealand legislation.

A photocopy of the certified copy is not a certified true copy.

The Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 contains a list of people allowed to take declarations and includes:

  • justices of the peace
  • barristers or solicitors of the High Court
  • registrars or deputy registrars of the court
  • notary public
  • members of Parliament.

Overseas candidates

It is acknowledged that some work visa requirements may require a job offer before a work visa is issued by New Zealand Immigration. The University will work with you as required at that time.

If you are overseas and need to have documents certified, your local New Zealand Embassy or High Commission may be able to assist.

Other pre-employment checking

Criminal checks (Ministry of Justice) are mandatory if you currently reside in New Zealand or if you are a New Zealander living overseas and are offered:

  • A permanent role at Victoria.
  • A fixed term role at Victoria where your employment will be for more than 6 months.
  • A further fixed term or permanent role where employment is continuous and there has been no previous criminal checking.

Credit and bankruptcy checks are mandatory if:

  • Your new role at Victoria has HR Delegation Authority of level 4 or higher.
  • Your new role at Victoria is in Finance of HR Payroll.
  • Your new role at Victoria is a School Manager.

New Zealand Police vetting is mandatory if:

  • Your work, or aspects of your work at Victoria, are covered by the Children's Act 2014.

Overseas candidates:

  • If you are a New Zealander and you have lived overseas for 2 years or more, a police check from the country where you are living will be mandatory.
  • If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident and are living overseas, a police check from the country where you are living will be mandatory.
  • If your appointment at Victoria is for 2 years or more, a police check will be mandatory as part of the immigration process.
  • If your appointment at Victoria is for less than 2 years, your employment will be conditional on you obtaining a police check that is satisfactory to Victoria.