Special Admission is for people over 20 who do not have a recognised University Entrance qualification, but have relevant work and life experience.
You can apply for Special Admission if you:
- are over 20 years of age
- are a New Zealand or Australian citizen or permanent resident
- do not hold a recognised University Entrance qualification
What do I need to provide?
- A CV (of up to three pages) of your work and life experience to date. This is an opportunity to tell us about your achievements. Need help? The Careers NZ website has tools to help with CV writing.
- A one-page personal statement, which must be written by you, explaining your goals and objectives for university study.
- Academic transcripts of any secondary or tertiary-level qualifications you have achieved.
We may also ask you to come in to the University to complete an assessment of your English and mathematics skills.
What steps do I need to follow?
- Apply online by the deadline.
- Submit your CV, personal statement and academic transcripts.
- If required you may be asked to come into the University to sit follow-up English and mathematics assessments. Assessments will take place in Wellington or Auckland.
Practice Assessments and answers:
- Maths practice assessment
- Maths practice assessment answers
- English practice assessment
- English practice assessment answers
Applicants assessed as being ready for degree-level study will be accepted into their chosen programme. Others will be advised of alternative study options.
How will my application be assessed?
We will seek evidence of the following:
- work experience that has prepared you for university study by requiring you to use higher-order thinking skills and high-level written communication and numeracy skills
- clear goals and objectives for degree-level study
- qualifications that are relevant to your proposed programme of study
- demonstrated English and mathematics skills (if we ask you to come in for a follow-up assessment).
Victoria is committed to providing pathways to university for under-represented groups. If you are a Māori or Pasifika applicant and we assess you as degree-ready, you will be admitted to your programme(s) with the following conditions:
- You must attend study and course planning interviews.
- You must attend the Māori or Pasifika New Students’ orientation.
- You must participate in a faculty mentoring programme for Māori and Pasifika students.
Application key dates
For course advice or to find out more about your 2017 study options, contact the Student Recruitment and Orientation team or phone 0800 VICTORIA (842 867).
You can apply to study in Trimester Two and Three:
- Trimester Two applications are due 1 July 2017
- Trimester Three applications are due 1 November 2017
Need help with course planning?
If you need help deciding what degree might be right for you, or what courses to take, talk with a liaison officer or book a course planning session with us, call 0800 VICTORIA (842 867) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.