Renewing your visa
You need to make sure your visa is valid for the whole time you’re studying in New Zealand.
Immigration New Zealand expects you to enter the country on a student visa if your main reason for coming here is to study. So, you must obtain a visa for Victoria University before leaving your home country. Find out how to apply for a visa before you arrive in New Zealand.
If you need to renew your student visa in New Zealand, you can apply at Victoria International, or directly to Immigration New Zealand.
How to apply to renew your student visa at Victoria International
International students studying full-time at Victoria University of Wellington may be eligible to apply for their visa through Victoria International. You need to make sure your visa is valid for the whole time you’re studying in New Zealand.
If you wish to change your programme of study to one that is not stated on your current visa, you must first apply for a new student visa.
You must submit your complete student visa application to Victoria International at least 7 days before your current visa expires. Students with incomplete applications may be directed to apply through Immigration New Zealand if correct documents are not submitted before the 7-day deadline.
To apply for your student visa, you’ll need to:
- Pay your tuition fees.
- Complete the Student visa application form or the Student visa application form—PhD students.
- Bring your application form and required documents listed on the front page of the form to Victoria International. Please read the form carefully. Only complete applications will be accepted.
- Pay the visa application fee. You can make payment at Victoria International reception.
Please note that you cannot leave New Zealand while your visa application is being processed.
You can apply for a student visa through Victoria International if you:
- are already in Wellington at the time of application
- currently hold a valid New Zealand visa (study, visit or work)
- are or will be a full-time student (unless you’re in your final trimester of study)
- are not currently under the Victoria International Academic Progress Policy.
If you don’t meet all of these conditions, you need to apply for your student visa directly with Immigration New Zealand.
Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted at Victoria International and may request that you resubmit your application directly to Immigration New Zealand.
Police and medical certificates
As part of your visa application, you may need to provide a police certificate, medical certificate, or chest x-ray certificate. Read the information on the Student visa application form to confirm if you do—if you’re still not sure, please contact Immigration New Zealand on 0508 558 855 or +64 4 910 9915.
It is your responsibility to contact Immigration New Zealand regarding the validity of your medical, chest x-ray, and police certificates, and find out whether you need to submit new certificates.
- Medical and chest x-ray certificates must be submitted every 36 months or when requested by Immigration New Zealand.
- Medical and chest x-ray certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 3 months from date of issue.
For information on medical and chest x-ray certificates, visit Immigration New Zealand.
- Police certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 6 months of the date of issue.
- A national police certificate from your home country must be submitted every 36 months. If your national police certificate is not in English, you must translate the certificate and submit both:
- The original police certificate.
- The original translation of the police certificate.
For information on police certificates, visit Immigration New Zealand.
To find out more
If you have questions about renewing your visa or would like more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.