New Students’ Orientation
Victoria puts on New Students’ Orientation programmes at the start of Trimesters One and Two to help you settle in. Find out about the upcoming orientation.
Mid-year New Students' Orientation
Victoria's Mid-year New Students' Orientation is the week before official classes and will run from Friday 14 July.
Our New Students' Orientation programme will welcome you to Victoria, and:
- help you find your bearings
- teach you some academic preparation skills
- show you what Victoria can offer you
- help you meet new people and have some fun all before you get into serious study.
- Early bird campus tour
- 8.30–9.15am. Departs from outside HMLT205 (Level 2, Hugh Mackenzie Building)
- Welcome to Victoria
- 9.30am–12pm. HMLT205 (Level 2, Hugh Mackenzie Building). Hear from current students and gain tips for study and essay writing success.
Afternoon programme (choose from the following options)
- Student Experience Expo
- 12–1pm. Hugh Mackenzie & Murphy Foyers. Lunch provided
- Campus Coaches programme
- 1–4pm. Meet at HMLT205 (Level 2, Hugh Mackenzie Building). Meet & greet with other new students, campus tours, library tour & myVictoria IT session
- Campus Tours
- 12.15–1pm, 1.15–2pm, 2.15–3pm, 3.15–4pm. Depart from Level 1 Info Ihonui, Library Entrance, Hub
- Library Tours
- 1.15–1.35pm, 2.15–2.35pm, 3.15–3.35pm. Depart from Level 2 Info Ihonui, Library Entrance, Hub
- myVictoria IT sessions
- 1.15–2.15pm, 2.15–3.15pm, 3.15–4.15pm. KKLT301 (Level 3, Kirk Building). Bring your confirmation of study.
So we have an indication of numbers, RSVP if you are interested in attending.
Student ID cards
Find out how to get yourself sorted out with a student ID card for entering classes, using the Library, receiving student discounts and much more.
Finding your way around
Personalised campus tours (45–60 minutes)
Are you worried about finding all your lecture theatres or being late to your first class? Want to breeze through your first week and walk around campus with confidence like a local?
Come along to one of our Campus Coaches desks (located on Level 2, the Hub near the library entrance) between 11am-1pm, Monday 17 and Friday 21 July to:
- Find out where all of your lectures and tutorials are held (bring your timetable).
- Learn where all the key services and facilities are that you might need during your studies.
- Get the answers to any general questions you have about starting university.
- Learn some hints and tips about getting to, from and around campus.
Bring your timetable and find out where all your classes are and other key spots around the university.
Personalised campus tours are 45–60 minutes long and will depart from Level 2, the Hub (near the library entrance) between 11am-1pm, Monday 17 and Friday 21 July.
Other things you can do at Orientation
- Understand and confirm your lecture timetable.
- Locate your lecture theatre(s).
- Visit your Faculty office.
- Buy your course books and texts at Vic Books, at Kelburn or Pipitea campus—a full list of course textbooks will be posted in the store and on the Vic Books website.
- Take a look at what’s on offer at Victoria Recreation, and sign up for their re-orientation special membership before July 30 and pay only $99.
- If you have housing questions visit the Accommodation Service.
- Check out some of our other student services.
- Careers and Employment, Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade.
- Disability Services, Level 1 (ground floor), Robert Stout Building, Kelburn Parade.
- Financial Support and Advice, Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade.
- Student Counselling and Student Health, Mauri Ora, Level 1, Student Union Building.
- Student Learning, Level 0, Kirk Building, Hunter Courtyard, Kelburn Parade.
- Te Pūtahi Atawhai, Level 2, Student Union Building.
New Students' Orientation Week (February—March 2017)
It was another massive start to 2017 with the kick off for new students beginning with New Students' Orientation. See how the week played out and watch our video capturing the highlights of the week.