Apply to graduate
What you need to do before you can graduate, applying to graduate in absentia or at a ceremony and information about advance and deferred graduation.
You are eligible to graduate once you have completed all of the requirements for your qualification.
You will be sent an email telling you about the graduation process. The email will give you instructions on how to apply to have your qualification granted.
What you need to do
Within 12 months of completing your qualification you need to:
- apply to graduate
- tell us whether you want to graduate at a graduation ceremony or in absentia.
You’ll find instructions for both in the email we send you when you become eligible to graduate.
Your qualification may be granted in absentia if the Graduation Office does not hear from you within 12 months.
Graduation application deadlines
Apply to graduate by these dates.
- 1 March for ceremonies in May
- 1 October for ceremonies in December.
Graduating in person or in absentia
You can apply to graduate in person at one of our graduation ceremonies in May and December, or ‘in absentia’ (in your absence).
When you graduate in absentia, your qualification is conferred at a meeting of the University Council . You can arrange to pick up your qualification certificate from the Graduation Office or have it posted to you.
If you do not receive an email about the graduation process, contact your Faculty office.
Some students who complete a qualification at the end of the year can graduate at the December ceremonies of the same year. This is called advance graduation.
Some students completing a qualification over the third or summer trimester are also eligible to apply for advance graduation at one of the May ceremonies.
Who can apply for advance graduation
- International students returning home
- Students leaving the country to take up a scholarship overseas—supporting documentation must be provided
- PhD and Master’s by Thesis students who expect to complete their qualification shortly after the deadline to apply for graduation
- Students completing a qualification in the third or summer trimester who want to graduate in May
- Students facing exceptional circumstances—a written application outlining your circumstances must be made to the manager of your Faculty office.
Advance graduation deadlines
Your application for advance graduation must reach the appropriate Faculty office by these dates.
- December graduation advance deadline: 1 October.
- May graduation advance deadline: 1 March.
If your application for advance graduation is approved you will be notified by email. Once you have approval you need to apply to graduate in your chosen ceremony. The email will contain instructions for this, or you can read more at the top of this page.
Contact your Faculty office for more information.
All students must apply to have their qualification granted within 12 months of completing that qualification. If you would like to defer your graduation beyond 12 months you must contact the Graduation Office.
You will need to provide a valid reason why a deferral should be approved.