Getting to campus
How to get to and between our campuses on foot, by bike, car or on public transport.
It’s a 10–15-minute walk from the city centre to Kelburn campus. Download the pedestrian shortcuts to make your journey shorter.
Shortcuts to the Kelburn Campus
Download these maps to see the pedestrian shortcuts from downtown Wellington to the Kelburn Campus.
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (front view)
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (back view)
There are cycle racks and showers at all campuses.
Bicycle parking stands on the Kelburn Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Adam Art Gallery—south
- Alan MacDiarmid—basement
- Laby—under south end
- Murphy Building—west
- Rec Centre—west
- 83 Fairlie Terrace—west.
If you are a postgraduate student and would like to access the secure cage in the basement of the Alan MacDiarmid Building, contact Campus Security.
Bicycle stands on the Pipitea Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Government Building—east
- Rutherford House—west and basement.
For the safety of building occupants in an emergency and to prevent damage to paintwork and flooring, bicycles must not be kept in offices, corridors and access ways.
Parking spaces are difficult to find in the Kelburn area, so it’s best to walk, cycle, use a motorbike or public transport.
The cable car runs from the city up to Kelburn every 10 minutes, and stops near the Kelburn campus.
Bus or train
Buses and trains in Wellington are operated by Metlink. For timetables and fares, visit the Metlink website or phone 0800 801 700.
The Pipitea campus is located by the Wellington Railway Station—also home to the central bus terminus.
All campuses are close to bus stops. You can find timetables on the Kelburn campus at:
- Level 2, Student Union Building
- Victoria Info Ihonui.
You can pay bus fares in cash, but if you use the bus a lot it is cheaper to buy a Snapper card. These are sold at:
- Vic Books, Easterfield Building, Kelburn campus
- Freemans Lotto, Rutherford House, Pipitea campus
- shops downtown around Wellington—look for the Snapper logo.
Bus links are very good. Six separate bus routes stop at the Kelburn Campus and can take you to most points in the city. Timetables below take you to the Metlink website, which includes a journey planner.
- No 17—Karori Park to Railway Station (Pipitea Campus)
- No 18—"Campus Connection": Karori Mall to Miramar via the Karori, Kelburn and Te Aro Campuses
- No 20—Highbury to Mt Victoria via the Kelburn Campus, the Railway Station (Pipitea Campus) and Courtenay Place
- No 22—Mairangi to Southgate via Newtown and Rintoul St
- No 23—Mairangi to Houghton Bay via Newtown and Melrose
- No 47—Johnsonville to Newtown via Khandallah, Ngaio, Wilton, Kelburn Campus, Te Aro Campus and Te Whaea National Dance and Drama Centre
All of these except Routes 18 and 47 go either to the Pipitea Campus or to the nearby Lambton Quay/Bowen St intersection.
If you’re travelling between campuses on the same day, find out how to apply for a free bus pass.