The information below is intended to provide general knowledge about common health concerns, and is no substitute for a professional diagnosis.
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Excessive alcohol and drugs have a detrimental effect on your health.
- Student Health GPs can help you identify and manage your asthma.
- Cervical Screening
- Women 20-70 should have regular smears to protect against cervical cancer.
- Discuss with a GP the best contraception for you and your changing needs.
- Depression and Anxiety
- Depression and anxiety impact on your life. Advice and treatment is available.
- Flu (Influenza)
- Flu is more severe than a cold - the best protection is immunisation.
- Meningococcal Disease and Meningitis
- Know the symptoms of meningitis as early detection is vital. Vaccinations against strains ACYW are available from Student Health or your family doctor.
- Get advice on everything to do with nutrition and healthy living.
- Physical Activity
- Exercise for 30 mins per day, is improves your health and well being.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Most STIs can be treated if detected early enough.
- Approximately 1 in 5 smokers are trying to quit. Are you one of them?
- Travel Health
- Plan ahead. Certain vaccinations require time to complete a course.
Student Counselling - Common Concerns Self Help Information