School of Government

Professional Programme

The School of Government was launched by the Prime Minister, Rt Hon Helen Clark, in September 2002 and is 'the' place in New Zealand to study our flagship professional qualifications in public policy, public management, and e-Government.

The School of Government is also the only New Zealand university partner with the Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG), a consortium of governments and universities, which offers a Master of Public Administration (Executive) programme. Please note, however, that entry into this programme is by selection from public sector agencies only.


Our prospectus contains the course timetable, contact information for our office and staff, and other important information for your study.

Admission Criteria

Successful applicants to our professional programme usually have a Bachelor's degree (in any discipline or field) and at least two years of relevant work experience.

Applicants without a Bachelor's degree, but with significant professional experience, may be admitted to the programme at the discretion of the Director of Master's Programmes.

In all cases, acceptance of an applicant is subject to the agreement and discretion of the Director of Master's Programmes (as the delegate of the Head of School) and/or the Faculty's Associate Dean (Students).


Domestic students may apply online through the Online Enrolment System. You will need supporting documentation, which can be submitted through the Online Enrolment System or sent directly to the Enrolment Office:

  1. a certified copy of your passport (and proof of New Zealand residency if appropriate) or New Zealand birth certificate (not required if you have prviously studied at Victoria University in the last 5 years)
  2. a certified copy of your official academic transcript (not required if (a) you don’t have a Bachelor’s degree or (b) your Bachelor’s degree was awarded from Victoria University)
  3. a copy of your current CV
  4. the School of Government reference form (available from the Online Enrolment System), completed by your referee (preferably your current employer)

NOTE: The certified copies of your passport/birth certificate/official academic transcript must be certified by a solicitor, Justice of the Peace or notary public. Alternatively, you may bring your original documents to the School of Government and we can make certified copies while-you-wait.


  • You can consult the Fees Calculator to find out how much your total fees will cost
  • Please visit the Financing your study website for full information on fees, payment methods, loans, and withdrawals and refunds

For more information

For more information, please contact:

Telephone: (04) 463 5458