After completing an MA(Hons) in modern Chinese studies at the University of Edinburgh, Tim Beal went on to do a Diploma in Business Administration followed by a PhD on China's terms of trade. He subsequently studied Japanese at Sheffield University and was Ferranti Research Fellow at the Centre for Japanese Studies at Stirling University.
He has taught on subjects ranging from Chinese politics to international marketing at universities in Britain, Japan, China and New Zealand, where he moved in 1987. He is a senior lecturer in the School of Marketing and International Business where he currently teaches mainly international marketing, and Asian business environment.
Current Research Projects
Currently working on two book projects:
- North Korea, Imperialism, Globalisation, and the Making of Contemporary Asia
- China, India and the New Asian Ascendancy.
Other research projects include:
Service Success in Asia in team led by Associate Professor Val Lindsay.
Details at http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~caplabtb/Services/
Wine, Marker of Social Change, with Michel Rod
Doing Business in Asia, with Michel Rod
Details at http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~caplabtb/w_dbia/
Political economy of DPRK (North Korea),Rise of China and India and their transformation of global political economy, Wine: Marker of Social Change, Doing Business in Asia, Islamic marketing, Economic and political relationships in the Asia/Pacific region, New Zealand's relationship with Asia, Asian migration, tourism, and the ageing society, Globalisation, services, and Small and Medium Enterprises
- Foundation director of the Centre for Asia/Pacific Law and Business (CAPLAB) at Victoria University of Wellington, 1992-98.
- Secretary of the NZ Asian Studies Society 1995-8
- Current Chairman and Executive Director of the Asia Pacific Research Institute of New Zealand (APRI)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the NZ Journal of Asian Studies, and of International Quarterly Journal of Marketing
- Associate Editor of International Journal of Digital Management, Co-editor of Pyongyang Report , Secretary of the NZ-DPRK Society, a co-ordinator of The Asia Forum, and an Associate of Japan Focus .
- Honorary Research Fellow of the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand. and a member of the Council of the Asian Studies Institute of Victoria University.
- Honorary Research Fellow, Political Economy Research Centre (PERC), University of Sheffield.
- Member of the National Council for New Zealand of the Council for Security in Asia/Pacific (CSCAP).
- Invited to join the editorial board of the Journal of Islamic Marketing which is to be launched shortly.
- Asia:NZ Foundation,
- Canadian Government Canada-Asia-Pacific
- Chair in Malay Studies
- University Research Fund
- Foundation for Research in Science and Technology.
Beal, Tim and Moha, Asri Abdullah, 'SMEs and Their E-commerce: Implications for Training in Wellington, New Zealand, Industry and Higher Education, (2005), pp. 259-269.
Beal, Tim, ' Global Expansion of Chinese MNCs: Conceptualisation and Context', International Conference on the Chinese Economy: Transition, Growth and Globalisation, University of Western Australia, (Perth, July, 2005).
Beal, Tim, North Korea: The Struggle Against American Power , (Pluto Books, London and Ann Arbor, 2005), 352pp.
Beal, Tim, The State of Internet Use in Asia, in Ho Kong Chong, Randy Kluver, and Kenneth Chung-ChuanYang (eds), Asia.Com: Asia Encounters the Internet, London and New York, Routledge, August 2003, (chapter 2).
Beal, Tim, Process and Impact of Foreign Investment in Greater China, Stamford, CO, JAI Press, 1999, pp. 19-29.
View further publications by Tim Beal