Please note: Information on this page relates to the 2015 academic year unless otherwise specified.
This subject is taught by the School of Languages and Cultures.
Asia is the wellspring of many of the world's richest and most enduring civilisations. More than half of humankind lives in Asia. How do you begin to learn more about Chinese cinema, Gandhi and non-violence, Islam in Indonesia, K-pop, NZ-ASEAN relations, Japanese manga, doing business in Hong Kong, colonialism and communism?
Victoria's Asian Studies major within the Bachelor of Arts (BA) gives you the scope and flexibility to combine everything from political science to music in one degree. You start with a broad course in the first year that explores the complexities of New Zealand's engagement with 'Asia' from a variety of disciplinary perspectives.
Asia is undergoing unprecedented economic and social transformation and our relationships with the region require sophisticated levels of knowledge and understanding. Prepare yourself for the new global reality with this flexible and contemporary major.
BA major requirements
- ASIA 101 and a further 20 approved 100-level points
- ASIA 201 and a further 20 approved 200-level points
- ASIA 301 and a further 20 approved 300-level points
In addition to all courses with an ASIA listing, courses from the schedule below are also approved:
- ANTH 101 Foundations of Society and Culture
- ANTH 102 Social and Cultural Diversity
- CHIN 101 Chinese Language 1A
- CHIN 102 Chinese Language 1B
- CHIN 112 Introduction to Chinese Civilisation
- GEOG 112 Introduction to Human Geography & Development Studies
- INTP 113 Introduction to International Relations
- JAPA 111 Introduction to Japanese Language
- JAPA 112 Elementary Japanese
- JAPA 113 Introduction to Japanese Culture and Society
- MUSC 150 Music in World Cultures
- RELI 103 Paths to Enlightenment: Introducing Asian Religions
- RELI 108 The World's Religions
- CHIN 211 Chinese Language 2A
- CHIN 212 Chinese Language 2B
- GEOG 212 Worlds of Development
- IBUS 201 Principles of International Business
- JAPA 204 Japanese Language 2A
- JAPA 205 Japanese Language 2B
- JAPA 213 Japanese Culture through Literature
- POLS 203 East Asian Politics
- POLS 208 Political change in Southeast Asia
- RELI 203 Civilisation and Cultures of Islam
- RELI 205 The Religions of India: Gods, Goddesses and The Sacred
- RELI 206 Buddhism: The Noble Path
- ANTH 317 Migration, Culture and Identity*
- CHIN 311 Chinese Language 3A
- CHIN 312 Chinese Language 3B
- CHIN 313 Classical Chinese Language and Literature
- FILM 304 Film Cultures B*
- GEOG 312 Race, Gender and Development*
- GEOG 316 Geographies of Globalisation*
- GEOG 320 Population and Migration
- HIST 310 Special Topic: The End of the British Empire: Decolonisation and its Anxieties in India
- INTP 301 Special Topic: The Politics and Foreign Policy of Japan
- INTP 354 International Relations of East Asia
- INTP 370 Special Topic: The Rise and the Fall of the Great Powers
- INTP 376 Special Topic: Cases in International Security: Strategies and Alliances*
- JAPA 304 Japanese Language 3A
- JAPA 305 Japanese Language 3B
- JAPA 314 Special Topic: Japanese Mythology
- JAPA 322 Readings in Japanese Culture and Society
- MARK 302 International Marketing
- PHIL 309 Special Topic: Non-Western Philosophy
- RELI 305 Death, Dying and Religion*
- RELI 330 Religion, Identity and Community: Contested Boundaries and Belonging
Other approved courses but not offered in 2015200-level courses
- CHIN 213 Modern Chinese Literature
- HIST 230 Gandhi, India and the World
- INTP 212 Special Topic: India's International Relations
- JAPA 214 Special Topic
- MUSC 252 Perspectives on Music of Asia
- PHIL 209 Special Topic: Non-Western Philosophy
- POLS 212 Special Topic: India's International Relations
- CHIN 314 Advanced Chinese Composition and Translation
- HIST 337 Wild China, People's China: Environment and Society in Chinese History
- INTP 360 Special Topic: Politics and Development in Southeast Asia
- INTP 378 Special Topic: China Field Study
- POLS 378 Special Topic: China Field Study
- MUSC 352 Studies in Music of Asia
- POLS 382 Special Topic: The Politics of China/Haina Torangapu
- RELI 329 Islam in the Contemporary World
Note: courses marked with an asterisk (*) must have Course Coordinator and Programme Director approval to be counted for the Asian Studies Major. The asterisked FILM courses (Film Cultures) will be approved only when the relevant national cinema is from Asia.
Postgraduate Qualifications in Asian Studies
For information specific to Asian Studies, please see our Postgraduate Study page. For information about the postgraduate qualifications, please click on the Faculty links below.
You can order more information on this subject using our Request for Study Material form.
Victoria's Student Recruitment, Admission and Orientation Office offers advice on courses and help with planning your degree.
Contact the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences' Student and Academic Services Office for information on admission, qualifications and courses, course advice and selection criteria, exemptions and prerequisites.
Asian Studies courses are taught within the School of Languages and Cultures. The School Office is located in Room 610, von Zedlitz Building, Kelburn campus.
Meet staff who teach in the Asian Studies Programme or contact the School for more information, tel: 04-463 5293, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete course listing, please see the list of Asian Studies courses.
|On this page:|
|100 Level Courses|
ASIA 101 – Introduction to Asian Studies
|200 Level Courses|
ASIA 201 – Contemporary Asian Society
ASIA 202 – Malay World and Civilisation
ASIA 203 – Modern Korean Society
ASIA 204 – Special Topic
ASIA 208 – Chinese Society and Culture through Film
|300 Level Courses|
ASIA 301 – Nation and Nationalism in Asia
ASIA 302 – Selected Topic: Directed Individual Study
ASIA 303 – Selected Topics in the Study of Malaysia
ASIA 304 – Modern Korean Society
|400 Level Courses|
ASIA 401 – Methods and Issues in Asian Studies
ASIA 489 – Research Project