Master of Professional Business Analysis
The Master of Professional Business Analysis is for graduates outside information technology who want to become business analysts in their original field.
This Master of Professional Business Analysis (MBusAn) programme is developed as a component of the Wellington ICT Graduate School created by Victoria University and its partners. The programme will be closely linked with industry requirements and courses will be offered with industry collaboration.
The MBusAn programme has been designed to provide graduates who can:
- Articulate to others a vision of the role of information systems in an organisation
- Apply the modelling and design techniques of business analysis to a case or workplace situation in order to provide creative solutions and gain practical experience
- Provide a bridge between their field of expertise and the IT field
- Apply their understanding of their field of expertise to develop IT solutions for a workplace
- Apply established practices of project management, having developed these skills on practical projects
- Recommend appropriate solutions, based on sound, evidence-led decision making skills that are based on the fundamental principles of academic research and real-world exposure
- Communicate clearly in a professional manner
- Understand legal and ethical issues related to information management
The qualification consists of 10 taught courses plus a project taken full-time over 12 months.
Download the MBusAn degree structure for full-time study pdf316KB
Seminars are held in the studio located at the Wellington ICT Graduate School premises, Te Aro Campus pdf316KB, Wigan Street. Courses are typically timetabled from Monday to Thursday in the format shown here.
The Master of Professional Business Analysis is a 180-point degree consisting of ten 15-point courses and a 30-point project, as follows:
Part 1 Core business analysis courses (total 90 points)
- MBUA 510 Business and Systems Analysis
- MBUA 511 Process Design
- MBUA 512 Databases and Analytics
- MBUA 513 Management of IT Projects for Business Analysts
- MBUA 514 Enterprise Architecture
- MBUA 515 Information Systems Innovation and Strategy
Part 2 Business environment (total 45 points)
- MBUA 521 Global Business Environment
- MBUA 522 Organisational Behaviour
- MBUA 523 Accounting for Managers
Part 3 Project and consulting skills (total 45 points)
Courses will be centred on practical problem-solving tasks, and typically will start with a problem described in a case or directly by an industry partner. The courses will enable students to apply the various concepts seen in the classroom to the industry problem during the trimester.
In addition, it is expected that the 30-point project, MBUA 532, will be used to build on the knowledge covered in the courses. Projects are seen as an "industry intensive period", enabling students to reflect on how the academic content can be applied to a complex situation.
The programme seeks to provide ICT skills to students to meet the shortage of skills observed in the IT industry. Business analysts top the list of skills in demand according to Tech Employer Insight Report (Absolute IT, March 2016)
Before enrolment, a candidate for the Master of Professional Business Analysis degree shall have:
(i) completed an appropriate Bachelor’s degree to the equivalent of at least a B– average standard; and
(ii) been accepted by the Head of School as capable of proceeding with the proposed course of study.
Requirement (i) may be waived by the Associate Dean (Students) of the Faculty of Commerce for a candidate who has had extensive practical, professional, or scholarly experience of an appropriate kind.
Applying for the MBusAn
Applications from domestic students should be submitted via the online enrolment system http://www.victoria.ac.nz/study/apply-enrol/apply for the annual July intake.
International students requiring information about admission, how to apply, and visa requirements etc, should contact Victoria International https://www.victoria.ac.nz/international/applying/degrees
How to find out more
Wellington ICT Graduate School
Tel: +64 022 044 2747