INFO-531 – Resources for New Zealand Studies
An in-depth examination of primary and secondary sources for New Zealand studies, their bibliographic control, location and access within a historical framework of scholarship, publication, and the development of libraries. Builds on the New Zealand element in INFO 523/544.
INFO 531, Resources for New Zealand Studies, is an in-depth examination of primary and secondary sources for New Zealand studies, their bibliographic control, location and access within a historical framework of scholarship, publication, and the development of libraries. It builds on the New Zealand element in INFO 523 and INFO 544.
Please note we recommend that you complete the core course INFO 523 before taking this elective as part of the MIS or PGCert/DipIS.
At the end of the INFO 531 course, students should be:
- Familiar with the development and use of major tools for bibliographic access and control across a range of topics in New Zealand studies.
- Familiar with the major collecting institutions, and the strengths of their New Zealand collections.
- Aware of the distinctive patterns of resources, and the problems these pose for research and the research community.
- Able to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the machinery of bibliographical access and control, and able to recommend feasible improvements.
G. A. Wood, Studying New Zealand: A Guide to Sources. Dunedin: University of Otago Press, 1999.
Penny Griffith, Ross Harvey & Keith Maslen, Book & Print in New Zealand. A Guide to Print Culture in Aotearoa, Wellington. Victoria University Press, 1997.
This work is now out-of-print, although copies are available on 3-day loan from the University Library. The New Zealand Electronic Text Centre has created an electronic, searchable version, which is now available in Web and e-book formats. The Web version is at
In addition to the prescribed texts, you should read Ringer, J. B. (1991). Undertaking further research. In An introduction to New Zealand Government. Christchurch: Hazard Press.
Trimester 1 2014
* indicates instructor is the course coordinator.
|CRN||From/To||Days||Time||Building [Campus]||Room||Instructor||18657||3 Mar – 8 Jun 2014||Mon||1700 - 1830||tba [Distance (NZ)]||Sydney Shep*|