Our teaching and research programmes are anchored in a passion for planet Earth and expressed in an extraordinary range of courses ranging from deep earth geophysics to feminist geography. We welcome students from around the globe who come to study with our internationally recognised staff, and research at field sites in New Zealand and worldwide.
Read more about our School.
- 9 April 2014 Keeping tabs on those who leave
- Dr Alan Gamlen, Senior Lecturer from our school, is playing a key role in the first major international study into emigration policies around the world, led by Oxford University. He is heading the largest of 11 projects that make up the Oxford Diasporas Programme, which spans five departments and three research centres at Oxford. The research, funded by the United Kingdom-based Leverhulme Trust, is looking at the social, economic, political and cultural impact of diaspora, or groups of people living away from their homeland. Read more about Keeping tabs on those who leave
- 3 March 2014 Rachael Westergaard Memorial Award
- Master’s student Aaron Johnston was presented with the inaugural Rachael Westergaard Memorial Award at a ceremony held recently. The fund was set up by the Westergaard Family, through the Victoria University Foundation, as an endowment for a Master's Scholarship in Geophysics in honour of their late daughter Rachael, a student at Victoria from 2009 to 2012. Read more about Rachael Westergaard Memorial Award
- 20 February 2014 Study may improve predictions of volcanic eruptions
- Investigating material thrown out of Mount Tauhara on the outskirts of Taupo during several eruptions has provided accurate data which could be used to predict how quickly some volcanic eruptions occur. Dr Monica Handler, Senior Lecturer in the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences at Victoria University of Wellington, is part of a team of researchers which studied the Tauhara volcano, in the Taupo Volcanic Zone.
Read more about Study may improve predictions of volcanic eruptions
More news »
Take a virtual tour
Find out about our admission criteria and how to apply