School of English Film Theatre and Media Studies
Current research projects
For many years my work has concentrated on the Bible, especially the King James Bible. Having written about literary attitudes to the Bible, and then edited the King James Bible and written a history of its text, I am now working on a book provisionally called 'The King James Bible from Tyndale to Today'. Thereafter I hope to work on a book looking at the King James Bible from a literary point of view, and English literature from a biblical point of view.
A History of the Bible as Literature was given the Conference on Christian Literature Book of the Year Award (1994) for the work which "has contributed most to the dialogue between literature and the Christian faith."
Selection of publications
- Edited with an introduction and notes. The Bible: King James Version with The Apocrypha. London: Penguin Classics, 2006, pp. xxviii, 1,929.
- The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha: King James Version . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp. xxxvi, 1868.
- A Textual History of the King James Bible . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp. xii, 387.
- A History of the Bible as Literature . Volume 1. From Antiquity to 1700. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993, pp. xvii, 375.
- A History of the Bible as Literature . Volume 2. From 1700 to the Present Day. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993, pp. xii, 493.
- A History of the English Bible as Literature . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000, pp. xii, 484.