Prof Dean Hyslop
Professor of Econometrics
School of Economics and Finance
Phone: 04 463 6964
Location: Room 310, Rutherford House 23 Lambton Quay, Pipitea Campus
ECON 301 - Econometrics
ECON 408 - Advanced Econometrics A
QUAN 201 - Introduction to Econometrics
BSc BA (Hons) VUW, MA PhD Princeton
Labour economics, applied microeconomics and econometrics
- 'The Dynamic Effects of an Earnings Subsidy for Long-term Welfare Recipients: Evidence from the SSP Applicant Experiment' (with David Card), Journal of Econometrics, 153, 1 (November 2009), pp. 1-20.
- 'Skill Upgrading in New Zealand, 1986-2001' (with David Maré), Australian Economic Review, 42, 4 (December 2009), pp. 422-434.
- 'Heterogeneous Firm Responses to Rising Teenage Wages' (with David Maré, Steven Stillman and Jason Timmins), Proceedings of the Australian Fair Pay Commission Research Forum, December 2008.
- 'Earnings Heterogeneity and Job Matching: Evidence from Linked Employer-Employee Data' (with David Maré), New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 32, 1 (November 2007), pp. 1-16.
- 'Youth Minimum Wage Reform and the Labour Market in New Zealand' (with Steven Stillman), Labour Economics, 14, 2 (April 2007), pp. 201-230.
- 'Income Growth and Earnings Variations in New Zealand, 1998–2004' (with Suresh Yahanpath), Australian Economic Review, 39, 3 (September 2006), pp. 293-311.
- 'Estimating the Dynamic Treatment Effects of an Earnings Subsidy for Welfare-Leavers' (with David Card), Econometrica, 73, 6 (November 2005), pp. 1723-1770.
- 'Understanding New Zealand’s Changing Income Distribution 1983–98: A Semiparametric Analysis' (with David Maré), Economica, 72, 3 (August 2005), pp. 469-495.
- 'An Analysis of New Zealand’s Business Demography Database' (with Nick Carroll, Dave Maré, Jason Timmins and Julian Wood), New Zealand Economic Papers, 36, 1 (June 2002), pp. 59-62.
- 'Bias From Classical and Other Forms of Measurement Error' (with Guido Imbens), Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 19, 4 (October 2001), pp. 475-481.
- 'Rising U.S. Earnings Inequality and Family Labor Supply: The Covariance Structure of Intrafamily Earnings', American Economic Review, 91, 4 (September 2001), pp. 755-777.
- 'Measuring the Effect of Arbitration on Wage Levels: The Case of Police Officers' (with Orley Ashenfelter), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 54, 2 (January 2001), pp. 316-328.
- 'A Non-Experimental Analysis of True State Dependence in Monthly Welfare Participation Sequences' (with Kenneth Chay and Hilary Hoynes), American Statistical Association, 1999 Proceedings of the Business and Economic Statistics Section, pp. 9-17.
- 'State Dependence, Serial Correlation and Heterogeneity in Intertemporal Labor Force Participation of Married Women', Econometrica, 67, 6 (November 1999), pp. 1255-1294.
- 'Does Inflation `Grease the Wheels of the Labor Market'?' (with David Card), in Christina Romer and David Romer (eds), Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, NBER Conference Volume, University of Chicago Press, 1997.
- Book Review of 'A Study of Economic Reform: The Case of New Zealand', by Alan Bollard, Ralph Lattimore and Brian Silverstone (eds) (1996), Labour Market Bulletin, 1997.
- 'Financial Policy Reform in New Zealand' (with Dimitri Margaritis and David Rae), in Caprio, G. Jr., I. Atiyas and A. Hanson (eds), Financial Reform: Theory and Experience, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- 'Individuals' Characteristics, the State of the Business Cycle, the Duration of Job Search and Hysteresis' (with Lewis Evans), Proceedings of the Association of European Labour Economists' Conference, Lund, Sweden, October 1990.
Current research, Working and Other Papers
- 'Job Employment Intensity, Matching and Earnings' (with David Maré), manuscript, May 2009 (in submission).
- 'Job Mobility, and Wage Dynamics' (with David Maré), April 2009.
- 'An Analysis of Teenage Employment by Firms, 1999–2007' (with David Maré, Steven Stillman and Jason Timmins), manuscript September 2008.
- 'Cyclical Earnings Variation and the Composition of Employment' (with David Maré), March 2008.
- 'Worker-Firm Heterogeneity and Matching: An analysis using worker and firm fixed effects estimated from LEED' (with David Maré), manuscript, October 2006.
- 'Returning to Work From Injury: Longitudinal Evidence on Employment and Earnings' (with Sarah Crichton and Steven Stillman), manuscript, August 2005, (in submission).
- 'Identification and Estimation of Dynamic Binary Response Models: Empirical Evidence Using Alternative Approaches' (with Kenneth Chay), May 2001.
- 'Arbitrator and Negotiator Behavior Under an Appellate System' (with Orley Ashenfelter, James Dow and Daniel Gallagher), manuscript, August 1997.