Teaching in 2017
- as Course Lecturer
Electromagnetics, quantum physics.
Optics, electromagnetism and quantum theory
Propagation, polarization and reflection of focused laser beams. Invariant properties of light beams. Optical tweezers, scattering. Energy, momentum and angular momentum of electromagnetic and acoustic pulses. Quantum many-body theory; statistical mechanics of interfaces and dielectric functions.
My current focus is on reflection and transmission of waves of all kinds, in relation to work on my book (below).
Theory of Reflection: Reflection and Transmission of Electromagnetic, Particle and Acoustic Waves, Springer (2016, Second edition).
Nature news item
Like attracts like? Nature: international weekly journal of science (23 May 2012)
View my publications.
- A0 Motion of the free-particle Gaussian wavepacket through its focal region.
- B0 Motion of the free-particle Gaussian wavepacket through its focal region.
- A1 Motion of the non-reflecting wavepacket Φ1(x,t) through the potential region.
- B1 Motion of the wavepacket Φ1(x,t) through the potential region.
- C1 Comparison of the motion of the wavepackets Φ0(x,t) and Φ1(x,t).
- A2 Total reflection of a wavepacket by the potential ħ / mx2.
- A3 Partial reflection of a wavepacket by the delta function repulsive potential.
- A4 Contraction and spreading of the Airy wavepacket in its zero-momentum frame.
- B4 Space curve of the Airy wavepacket in its zero-momentum frame.
- A5 Gaussian wavepacket in gravitational field.
- A6 Schrödinger packet for a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential.
- B6 Harmonic oscillator wavepacket: an animated space-curve.
- C6 Packet based on first excited state of harmonic oscillator.
- A7 Quantum bouncer on a spring.
- A8 Airy wavepacket in gravitational field.