Prof Kevin Gould
Professor of Plant Biology
School of Biological Sciences
Phone: 04 463 6649
Fax: 04 463 5331
Location: Room 724, New Kirk Building, Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
My research has focused on the structural and physiological mechanisms through which plants tolerate environmental stressors. Recent projects have included:
- roles of anthocyanin pigments in the photoprotection, UV-B screening, and thermotolerance of leaves in native New Zealand plants;
- foliar aposematism as an anti-herbivore defence;
- protective functions of betalains and anthocyanins in stems;
- free radicals and antioxidant defences in shoots and roots under stress;
- cellular basis for the modification of flower colour;
- nitric oxide as a mediator of plant stress responses;
- protective mechanisms in New Zealand liverworts;
- evaluation of antioxidants from native plant extracts and traditional Maori foods as nutritional supplements for humans.
Visit the Plant Biology web page.