Dr Judy Deuling
School of Art History, Classics and Religious Studies
Phone: 04 463 6783
Location: Room 517, Old Kirk Building, Gate 3 Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
Teaching in 2015
CLAS 202 - Etruscan and Roman Art
CLAS 302 - Etruscan and Roman Art
GREE 315 - Advanced Greek Literature A
GREE 316 - Advanced Greek Literature B
LATI 104 - Elementary Latin
LATI 213 - Latin Literature and Language A
Judy teaches Etruscan and Roman Art, Bronze Age Aegean Art and Archaeology, Latin, and occasionally Greek in the Classics Programme.
Current Research Projects
Judy Deuling’s research specialities are:
- Latin literature.
- Roman art and architecture.
- Etruscan studies.
- Bronze Age Aegean studies.
Judy is currently working on a number of articles which treat poems of the Roman poets Catullus, Martial and Vergil. She has most recently co-authored A Day in Pompeii: New Books on the Art and Architecture of the Roman Empire, and she delivered two public lectures which accompanied the A Day in Pompeii exhibition at Te Papa in 2010.
- 'Catullus 17 and 67, and the Catullan Construct', Antichton 40 (2006) 1-9
- 'In the Museum: Classics Museum, Victoria University of Wellington', Scholia 13 (2004) 169-174.
Awards and Achievements
- Margo Titus Visiting Fellow, Blegen Library, University of Cincinnati, 2005
- Co-administrator, Classics slide collection.
- Curator, VUW Classics Museum