Panel Session 4
Panel Session Four
The fourth session of the Long-Term Fiscal External Panel was held at Rutherford House, Victoria University of Wellington, on Thursday 29 November.
The topic for this panel session was Health Policy Analysis and Choices, Combined Scenarios and Features of Enduring Reform.
This was the second of two sessions looking into individual policy areas. Within each area, the long-term fiscal issues and pressures were discussed, as well as key policy choices available to address them. This session discussed the areas of health, justice, natural resources and the Crown’s balance sheet. Policy choices were analysed in the context of the frameworks considered in Sessions One and Two, including their implications for fiscal sustainability, economic growth and efficiency, economic resilience, intra- and inter-generational distribution and other considerations, such as environmental and social considerations.
This session considered how the individual reform options discussed in Session Three and Session Four could be best combined together, as well as discussing what the evidence tells us about what is required to achieve reform which is enduring over time.
A. Session 4 Agenda
B. Session 4 Summary
C. Session 4 Papers
1. The Treasury, Cover Note to the Treasury's Draft Long-Term Fiscal Policy Papers
2. The Treasury, "Health Projections and Policy Options for the 2013 Long-term Fiscal Statement" - Draft Paper for Long Term Fiscal External Panel
3. The Treasury, "Long-Term Care and Fiscal Sustainability" - Draft Paper for Long Term Fiscal External Panel
4. The Treasury, "Natural Resources and the Long-Term Fiscal Statement" - Forthcoming
5. The Treasury, "Options and Opportunities to Deliver Better Justice Sector Outcomes Over the Next 40 Years" - Forthcoming
Above: Professor Chris Cunningham (Massey University) Presenting
"Aotearoa's Long-Term Fiscal Position"
Above: Erin King (Treasury) Presenting "Health Projections and Policy Options"
Above: Professor Norman Gemmell (Victoria University)
Above: Professor Bob Buckle (Victoria University) Sums Up for the Group
For general enquiries, please contact:
Cherry Chang, Administrator, Chair in Public Finance
Telephone: +64-4-463 9656
For media enquiries, please contact:
Bryan McDaniel, Senior Communications Advisor
Telephone: +64-4-917 6268; +64-(0)21 817 207