Opportunities for external organisations
At Victoria University, our expert researchers can help develop new ideas, solutions and products for your business or organisation.
There are many ways of working with the University—either directly through a business arrangement tailored to meet your needs, or by taking advantage of established schemes that provide a range of opportunities to partner with us.
Victoria University Summer Research scholarships
During the summer months, Victoria University partners with companies, government agencies and professional groups to help them tackle projects they don’t have the resources to do themselves.
Victoria has top students from a variety of disciplines available for 10-week research placements.
Every placement is supported by a Victoria University Summer Research scholarship. You and the University each contribute $3000 towards the student’s scholarship.
It’s a win-win for you and the University: you benefit from the student’s research and development skills and a Victoria student gets practical research experience.
The research students are high-achievers and come from a wide range of study areas, including science and engineering, humanities and social sciences, commerce, architecture, education and law.
Each scholarship recipient will be allocated a supervisor who will work with your organisation and the student to ensure the maximum benefit is gained from the research project.
For more information on requirements, download the supervisor guidelines.
Summer Research Programme 2017/18
Expressions of interest from external organisations are open until 17 August. Complete the online form to register, or email us for further information.Register
Business research and development grants
A number of Research & Development (R&D) schemes are available to New Zealand businesses. These schemes are administered by Callaghan Innovation and include:
- R&D Growth Grants: Targeting businesses with a strong track record for R&D spending in New Zealand, this is a three-year grant programme with a $5million cap on funding per annum.
- R&D Project Grants: Targeting firms with smaller R&D programmes and those that are new to R&D, typically providing 30–50 percent public co-funding.
- R&D Student Grants: Providing support for undergraduate and postgraduate students to work within R&D active businesses.
- Global Expert: A fast, professional and confidential service that locates and pre-screens national and international experts and connects them with New Zealand businesses to help solve innovation challenges from concept through to commercialisation.
More information about these schemes can be found at the Callaghan Innovation website.
Find a postgraduate researcher to work on your project
If you have a research programme that needs additional expertise, the best person for the job could be a Victoria postgraduate researcher. You can connect with a student through:
- offering a scholarship for a defined research project of 1–3 years
- supervising a student for a defined research project of 1–3 years.
If you are interested in finding a postgraduate researcher to work on your project, contact:
Associate Director, Research Development
Managing Director, Vic Link, Victoria Link Ltd