At Victoria University, our expert researchers can help develop new ideas, solutions and products for your business or organisation.
There are many ways of working with the University—either directly through a a business arrangement tailored to meet your needs, or by taking advantage of established schemes that provide a range of opportunities to partner with us.
Business research and development grants
A number of Research & Development (R&D) schemes are available to New Zealand businesses. These schemes are administered by Callaghan Innovation and include:
- R&D Growth Grants: Targeting businesses with a strong track record for R&D spending in New Zealand, this is a three-year grant programme with a $5million cap on funding per annum.
- R&D Project Grants: Targeting firms with smaller R&D programmes and those that are new to R&D, typically providing 30–50 percent public co-funding.
- R&D Student Grants: Providing support for undergraduate and postgraduate students to work within R&D active businesses.
- Global Expert: A fast, professional and confidential service that locates and pre-screens national and international experts and connects them with New Zealand businesses to help solve innovation challenges from concept through to commercialisation.
More information about these schemes can be found at the Callaghan Innovation website.
To find out how we can help you access government funding for your R&D projects, please contact Rochelle Finlay.
Business research enquiries and opportunities
Manager, Research, Commercial & IP
Victoria University Summer Research Scholarships
Over the summer months, Victoria University partners with companies, government agencies and professional groups to help them tackle projects they don’t have the resources to do themselves.
As part of the University’s Summer Research Scholarships programme, Victoria’s top students are available for 10-week research placements: Victoria contributes $3,000 and your organisation contributes the other $3,000.
This is a chance for you to gain an edge from students’ research and development skills while giving students a taste of what it’s like to do practical research within your organisation.
A wide selection of skills are on offer with summer scholars’ study areas including science and engineering, humanities and social sciences, commerce, architecture, education and law.
If you are interested in hosting a student researcher, contact email@example.com for more information (including relevant deadlines).
Hire a student worker for summer
Students in some engineering, clinical psychology, architecture, design and commerce programmes need industry experience to complete their undergraduate degrees.
If you are interested in hosting a student worker over summer, contact Ida Tai for more information.
Summer work placement
Employer Relations, Career Development and Employment
Find a postgraduate researcher to work on your project
If you have a research programme that needs additional expertise, the best person for the job could be a Victoria postgraduate researcher. You can connect with a student through:
- offering a scholarship for a defined research project of 1–3 years
- supervising a student for a defined research project of 1–3 years.
If you are interested in finding a postgraduate researcher to work on your project, contact Sue O’Donnell for more information.