This subject is taught by the International Institute of Modern Letters.
Victoria's Creative Writing programme has a national and international reputation for developing the potential of some of the best writers in New Zealand.
We have built a strong workshop culture, reflecting our belief in the importance of nurturing individual voices within a lively community of writers.
Our programme features a range of specialised undergraduate creative writing workshops, as well as Master of Arts and PhD creative writing programmes.
All creative writing courses have limited entry status. This means that workshop numbers are restricted, and entry is competitive. The quality of the writing sample submitted with your application will be central to the selection process.
Application and notification deadlines for limited entry courses may also differ from other Victoria University courses. Find out how to apply.
We offer intense and stimulating workshops in poetry, short fiction, children's writing, Māori and Pasifika creative writing, creative nonfiction, television scriptwriting, science writing, and writing for theatre, as well as a changing programme of summer workshops.
Creative Writing is not a major, but may contribute to a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or be included in other degrees by arrangement with the relevant faculty.
One 200-level creative writing course may be included in an English Literature major. CREW 353 Writing for Theatre may be included in a Theatre major with approval from the Head of School. Find out what undergraduate courses are available.
Creative Writing minor subject requirements
At least 60 points selected from CREW 200–399, including at least 20 points at 300 level.
Scholarships and prizes
Visit our Scholarships and prizes page to find out about our undergraduate and postgraduate prizes, and what scholarships are available at postgraduate level.
How to find out more
Want to find out more about studying at Victoria? Register now to find out more about your study options and keep updated on application and enrolment information, open days and events.
If you need help deciding what degree might be right for you, or what courses to take, talk with a liaison officer or book a course planning session with us, call 0800 VICTORIA (842 867) or email email@example.com.
If you’re a returning or transferring student, contact the Faculty Student and Academic Services Office, for help with degree planning and for information on admission requirements and transfer credit from other institutions.
Related subjects and careers
- Art History
- English Literature
- Media Studies
- Modern Language Studies
- Public relations
- Television writer
Creative Writing courses are taught within the International Institute of Modern Letters, Bill Manhire House, 16 Waiteata Road, Kelburn campus.
On this page
- CREW 253: Poetry Workshop - He Rotarota (2017)
- CREW 254: Short Fiction Workshop - He Korero Paki (2017)
- CREW 255: Children's Writing Workshop- He Tuhinga ma nga Tamariki (2017)
- CREW 256: Special Topic: Maori&Pasifika Creative Writing Workshop Te Hiringa a Tuhi (2017)
- CREW 257: Creative Nonfiction Workshop- He Korero Pono (2017)
- CREW 258: Iowa Prose Workshop - He Tuhinga no Tawahi (2017)
- CREW 259: Iowa Poetry Workshop - He Rotarota no Tawahi (2017)
- CREW 350: Special Topic: World-Building Workshop (2017)
- CREW 351: Writing for Television Workshop - He Tuhinga mo te Pouaka Whakaata (2017)
- CREW 353: Writing for Theatre Workshop - He Tuhinga Whakaari (2017)
- CREW 591: Creative Writing Portfolio - Te Kohinga Auaha (2017)
- CREW 592: Scriptwriting Portfolio - Te Kohinga Tuhinga Whakaari (2017)
- CREW 690: PhD in Creative Writing - Te Tohu Kairanga Tuhinga Auaha (2017)