The Award is free to enter and open to Year 12 and 13 students across New Zealand. During the entry period, students can download the entry form from this page or enter online via our Schools Poetry website.
Entry forms and posters are sent to all eligible schools in March each year that the Award is run. If your school has not previously received an entry pack and would like to be on the mailing list for the future, please contact us.
|Document||File size||File type|
|Poetry Award entry form 2013 (archival only)||1,624KB|
|The Poetry Kit (writing tips and exercises)||462 KB|
Rules of Entry
We are not currently accepting entries. However, the general rules of entry may be of interest to students considering entering the Award in future, or to their teachers .
- Entrants must be Year 12 or 13 students currently enrolled in a New Zealand secondary school, or verified home-schooling equivalent.
- Only one poem per student may be submitted.
- The poem may be on any subject. It must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant.
- The poem should be no longer than 50 lines, and in typewritten or printed form. Handwritten copies will not be read.
- To enter online: click on the 'Enter Online' link at the top of this page, fill in the online entry form and upload your poem at the same time. Online entries must be submitted by the advertised deadline (Friday 5 July in 2013).
- To enter on paper: post the form, along with your poem, to the Schools Poetry Award postal address below. Please allow enough time for your entry to arrive by the deadline.
- All posted entries must be accompanied by an official entry form (original or photocopy). Additional entry forms can be downloaded above.
- Posted entries must not be stapled.
- The writer’s name should only appear on the entry form – not on the poem itself.
- Entries must be received by midnight on the deadline date.
- Copyright remains with the individual writers. The International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) reserves the right to publish the prize-winning entries without further payment.
- The winner and shortlisted poets will be announced on National Poetry Day (16 August in 2013).
Entry deadline: in 2013 this was 5 JULY.
POST YOUR ENTRY TO:
National Schools Poetry Award
IIML, Victoria University
PO Box 600
For more information and entry forms, email email@example.com or telephone: (04) 463 6854.