Strategies and policies
Victoria is committed to excellence in teaching and learning. We aim to provide an inclusive and equitable environment for staff and students.
Excellence in learning and teaching is one of the University’s core institutional values and is one of the eight key goals of the Strategic Plan.
The Learning and Teaching Strategy objectives are to:
- provide a distinctive and excellent learning experience for students
- take a student-centred view of learning
- draw on Victoria’s strong culture of research
- balance educational breadth, student choice and sustainability of programmes
- develop learning and teaching practices that meet high international standards and take account of emerging global trends
- develop assessment and feedback policies and practices that enhance the curriculum and encourage deeper student engagement with learning.
Complementing the Learning and Teaching Strategy is the recently developed Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy. More information on the work underpinning the Strategy can be found on the Centre for Academic Development website.
The Academic Office is responsible for the Student Experience Strategy that provides the framework for the University’s student experience goal, to “engage students as active and lifelong members of an inclusive and supportive community of higher learning through an outstanding academic, social and cultural and campus experience that equips them to make a significant contribution to local, national and international communities".
The University aspires to provide integrated, accessible and responsive services that will enhance learning, and generally enrich the student experience. The intention is that each campus provides a safe, environmentally-sustainable and enjoyable environment, and offers a wide range of opportunities for student engagement and interaction.
The Equity and Diversity Strategy identifies priority equity groups and sets out the high-level objectives and actions to meet the University’s commitment to equity and diversity.
The Equity and Diversity Strategy objectives are to:
- improve the recruitment, retention and success rates of students in the identified equity groups
- support a study environment that recognises the diversity of the university community and advancing equity by giving all students opportunities to achieve their best
- promote an inclusive workplace environment that fosters and supports the diversity of the University community
- enhance the performance and perception of Victoria as an employer with a commitment to the advancement of equity
- create an environment of good leadership and evidence-based decision-making in the management of equity.