Prof Susy Frankel
School of Law
Phone: 04 463 6350
Fax: 04 463 6365
Location: Room 303, Government Building, 55 Lambton Quay, Pipitea Campus
LAWS 353 - Intellectual Property
LAWS 457 - Special Topic: Global Issues in Intellectual Property
LAWS 557 - Special Topic: Global Issues in Intellectual Property
LLB (Hons) Well, LLM Lond
Susy’s main research and teaching interests are intellectual property law and international trade law. Susy also teaches the law of contract. She has published a range of articles and book chapters and given numerous conference presentations on various aspects of copyright, trade marks and patents, and international trade. She is Director of the New Zealand Centre of International Economic Law. Before joining Victoria University, in 1997, Susy practiced law in New Zealand and London. Susy qualified as Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand in 1988 and as a Solicitor of England & Wales in 1991.
Susy has been a visiting Professor at the University of Western Ontario (2012); Fellow of Clare Hall, University of Cambridge and visitor to the Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Law, University of Cambridge, Michalmas term 2008; and the visiting Professor, University of Iowa, 2000.
Appointments and Memberships
- Board member, Pacific Economic Cooperation Council (NZ) 2012
- Chair and Member of the Copyright Tribunal (NZ), August 2008-
- Member of the Executive Committee of Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property (ATRIP), 2011-
- Neutral for WIPO, Geneva, World Intellectual Property Organization Arbitration and Mediation Centre, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004-
- Assistant Commissioner of Trade Marks, Patents and Designs, Hearings Officer for the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand, a quasi-judicial position for a specialist tribunal for 1998-2006
- Consultant Expert to Waitangi Tribunal on the WAI 262 flora fauna and indigenous intellectual property claim (Waitangi Tribunal Report, 2011 Ko Aotearoa Tēnei)
- Editorial Board, Journal of World Intellectual Property
- Editorial Board, Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property
- Editorial Advisory Board, University of Western Australia Law Review
- General Editor (joint) New Zealand Universities Law Review 2004 - 2005
- Editorial Board, Victoria University of Wellington Law Review 1998- 2006.
Areas of Supervision (PhD and LLM)
- NZ and International Intellectual Property Law
- International Trade Law
- Regulation and Regulatory Theory
- Civil Remedies
Susy's current research projects include:
- Project Leader Law Foundation Regulatory Reform Project
- “Intellectual Property Law for a Small Developed Country with a Market Economy” (This project is supported by a Law Foundation Research Grant.)
Selection of Publications
Intellectual Property In New Zealand(2nd edition, Lexis Nexis, Wellington, July 2011) 900 pp.
"The Mismatch of Geographical Indications and Innovative Traditional Knowledge" (2011) 29(3) Prometheus pp 253-267.
"Challenging TRIPS - Plus FTAs - the Potential Utility of Non-Violation Complaints" (2009) 12(4) Journal of International Economic Law pp 1023-1065.
"An Experimental use Exception for New Zealand" in The Journal of World Intellectual Property (special issue: Patent Law Reform: Getting it Right to Support and Drive Innovation) 17(5) pp 446-466.
“Trade Marks, Traditional Knowledge and Cultural Intellectual Property” in Graeme B Dinwoodie and Mark D Janis (eds) Trade Mark Law and Theory: A Handbook of Contemporary Research (Edward Elgar Press, USA, 2007) available at SSRN.
“The WTO’s Application of ‘the Customary Rules of Interpretation of Public International Law’ to Intellectual Property” (2005) 46 Virginia Journal of International Law
"Third-Party Trade Marks as a Violation of Indigenous Cultural Property- A New Statutory Safeguard" (2005) (8) The Journal of World Intellectual Property Law pp 83-98.