Dr Averil Coxhead
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Phone: 04 463 5625
Location: Room 403, Von Zedlitz Building, Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
ALIN 301 - Approaches to Grammar in Second Language Teaching and Learning
LALS 511 - Teaching Reading and Writing
WRIT 151 - Writing in English as a Second Language
RSA Cert. TEFL Bournemouth, BA, DipTESL, MA, PhD
Click here for more information on the first Vocab@Vic conference, December 18-20, 2013.
Call for Contributions – New Ways in Teaching Vocabulary – revised edition
Averil is a Senior Lecturer in Applied Linguistics. She teaches courses on second language learning in the BEdTESOL and the MA in Applied Linguistics/TESOL programs. Averil has taught in New Zealand, England, Estonia, Hungary and Romania.
Click here to go to the Academic Word List website
Click here for the pilot EAP Science list (Coxhead & Hirsh, 2007)
- Coxhead, A. (2011). Using vocabulary in writing in a second language: Writing from sources. Koln : LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Coxhead, A. & Hirsh, D. (2011). TESOL and Applied Language Studies Research by Postgraduate Students inAustralia and New Zealand. University of Sydney Papers in TESOL, 6.
- Coxhead, A. (2010). Special issue of in honour of Paul Nation. Reading in a foreign language. 22(1): 1-241.
- Coxhead, A. (2006). Essentials of teaching academic vocabulary. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. (Since 2007 this book is published through Heinle Cengage).
- Coxhead, A. (1998). An Academic Word List. ELI Occasional Publications #18, School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies, Victoria University of Wellington: Wellington.
Chapters in books
- Coxhead, A. (2013). Vocabulary and ESP. In B. Paltridge & S. Starfield (Eds.). The Handbook of English for Specific Purposes, pp. 115-132. Boston: Wiley-Blackwell
- Coxhead, A. (2012). Specialised vocabulary in secondary school classrooms: Teachers’ perspectives. RELC Anthologies.
- Coxhead, A. and Byrd, P. (2012). Collocations and Academic Word List: The strong, the weak and the lonely. In I. Moskowich and B. Crespo (Eds.) Encoding the Past, Decoding The Future: Corpora in the 21st Century (pp. 1-20). Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Coxhead, A. (2010). What can corpora tell us about English for Academic Purposes? In A. O'Keefe; M. McCarthy (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of Corpus Linguistics, (pp. 458-470). Oxford: Routledge.
- Coxhead, A. (2008). The best practice is practice. In A, Jendli, C. Coombe (Eds.), Best practice in English language teaching (pp. 3 - 14). TESOL Arabia: Dubai, UAE.
- Coxhead, A., Hunter, J., Pierard, J. and Cooke, D. (2008). Cultural context and academic context. What difference do they make in EAP students? in A. Burns & J. Burton (Eds.), Language teacher research in Australia and New Zealand. Alexandria, Virginia: TESOL.
- Coxhead, A. (2008). Phraseology and English for Academic Purposes: Challenges and Opportunities. In F. Meunier and S. Granger (Eds.), Phraseology in language learning and teaching (pp. 149-161). Amsterdam. John Benjamins.
- Coxhead, A. (2012). Academic vocabulary, writing and English for Academic Purposes: Perspectives from second language learners. RELC Journal, 43: 137-145.
- Coxhead, A. (2011). Exploring specialised vocabulary in secondary schools: What difference might subject, experience, year level, and school decile make? TESOLANZ Journal 19: 37-52.
- Coxhead, A. (2011). What is the exactly word in English?: Investigating second language vocabulary use in writing. English Australia, 27(1): 3-17.
- Coxhead, A. (2011). The Academic Word List ten years on: Research and teaching implications. TESOL Quarterly, 45(2):355 - 362.
- Coxhead, A., Stevens, L, & Tinkle, J, (2010). Why might secondary science textbooks be difficult to read? New Zealand Studies in Applied Linguistics, 16(2): 35-52.
- Hirsh, D. & Coxhead, A. (2009). Ten ways of focusing on science-specific vocabulary in EAP.; English Australia Journal 25(1): 5-16.
- Coxhead, A. & Hirsh, D. (2007). A pilot science word list for EAP. Revue Franaise de Linguistique Applique XII (2): 65 - 78.
- LALS Teaching and Learning Director