Student Visas

All international students studying in New Zealand require a student visa. It is important to apply for a student visa as early as possible. If you leave it to the last few weeks you may not get your visa in time. You will need your fees receipt to apply

Applying for a Student Visa before you come to New Zealand

The New Zealand Immigration Service has all the information you need to make a first time application for an NZ study visa, including the location of your nearest Immigration New Zealand office and the requirements applicable to your home country.

Visa Medical Checks

The New Zealand Immigration Service requires every person intending to stay in New Zealand for 12 months or more to complete a medical check.

The New Zealand Immigration medical form is available on their website,, or from Victoria International.

Any New Zealand registered doctor is permitted to complete immigration medical checks. You may wish to use the Student Health service on campus.

If you have your medical check completed outside of New Zealand, you must visit a New Zealand Immigration Service approved panel doctor. A list of panel doctors is posted at .

Police Checks

If you plan to stay in New Zealand for 24 months or more you will be asked to provide a police certificate from your home country.

Information on obtaining a police certificate can be found on the New Zealand Immigration Service website. You can also contact Victoria International for a copy of the New Zealand Immigration Service booklet “Guide to Obtaining a Police Certificate”.

Can I work while I study?

It may be possible for you to work while you are studying: Under present immigration regulations international students on long term student visas (2 years or more) are entitled to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and 40 hours during the summer break.

Can I continue to work in New Zealand after I have graduated?

International students who have graduated with a NZ qualification are now eligible to apply for the Graduate Job Search Work Visa. This one year visa allows International Graduates to work for any employer in New Zealand.