Dr Simone Gigliotti
School of History, Philosophy, Political Science & International Relations
Phone: 04 463 6775
Location: Room 505, Old Kirk Building, Gate 3 Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
Teaching in 2016
On Research Study Leave trimester 1 2016.
BA (Hons) PhD Melb
Research Interests and Projects
- Geographies of Displacement in 20th-century and contemporary Europe
- Testimony of Transmigration
- European Refugee worlds in SE Asia and the Caribbean
- Children, Youth and Genocide
Publications in preparation
- Monograph: Enough of this Europe: Home-seeking and Holocaust Cinema
- Co-edited book, The Wiley Companion to the Holocaust
- Journal article: “Dachau, Warsaw, and Kingston: Refugee lives between empires and islands” for the Jamaican Historical Review
Publications (from 2012/ in print and forthcoming)
- Book Chapter, “Home-seeking: cinematic geographies of displacement in Meyer Levin’s The Illegals”, in Paul B. Jaskot and Alexandra Garbarini (eds.,), Lessons and Legacies (Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 2017/18)
- Book Chapter, “A Mobile Holocaust? Rethinking Testimony with Cultural Geography”, in Paolo Giaccaria and Claudio Minca (eds.,), Hitler’s Geographies: the Spatialities of the Third Reich (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2016)/forthcoming.
- Editor, The Memorialization of Genocide (London: Routledge, 2016)
- Co-editor, The Young Victims of the Nazi Regime: Migration, the Holocaust and Postwar Displacement (London: Bloomsbury: 2016)
- “To whom do the children belong? Genocidal displacement in Europe and Australia”, in Cathie Carmichael and Richard C. Maguire (eds.,), The Routledge History of Genocide (Oxford: Routledge: 2015): 38-54.
- (Co-editor), Ethics, Art and Representations of the Holocaust: Essays in honour of Berel Lang (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield), 2014.
- (Co-author) "From the camp to the road: Representing the evacuations from Auschwitz, January 1945." In Geographies of the Holocaust, edited by Anne Kelly Knowles, Tim Cole and Alberto Giordano. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2014): 192-225. (2015 American Association of University Presses Outstanding Selection—and A Choice Outstanding Academic Title for 2015).
- (Co-author) "From Europe to the Antipodes: Acculturation and Identity of Deckston Children and Kindertransport Children in New Zealand. In: Yearbook of the Research Centre for German and Austrian Exile Studies, vol. 13, The Kindertransport 1938/39: New Developments in Research, Eds. Andrea Hammel, and Bea Lewkowicz. Amsterdam: New York: Rodopi. Vol. 13 (2012): 103-124.
- "The Voice as a Human Document: On Listening to Holocaust Survivors in Postwar Europe", Yad Vashem Studies, 40, no. 2 (2012): 217-235.
International Advisory Board, Journal of Genocide Research
Research Affiliate, USC Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research