Dr Simone Gigliotti
School of History, Philosophy, Political Science & International Relations
Phone: 04 463 6775
Location: Room 505, Old Kirk Building, Gate 3 Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
Teaching in 2014
HIST 118 - Making Europe Modern: Citizens, States and Nations
HIST 228 - Special Topic: The Holocaust and Genocide
HIST 332 - The Holocaust and Genocide
Wednesday 12:00-2pm or by appointment.
BA (Hons) PhD Melb
- 20th Century European history (especially Germany, World War II and post-war Europe)
- The Holocaust and Comparative Genocide
- Visual History (Film and Photography)
- Cultural Geography of Displacement
- War, Captivity and Journeys (Train Journeys, Death Marches, Refugees and Displaced Persons, Internment camps)
- Displaced Persons in postwar Europe
- Holocaust Geographies
- Childhood Exile and Migration (VUW project)
- Young Victims of the Nazi Regime: Migration, the Holocaust and Postwar Displacement (co-editor) (London: Bloomsbury), (under contract).
- Ethics, Art and Representations of the Holocaust: Essays in honour of Berel Lang, (co-editor), (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield), 2014.
- The Train Journey: Transit, Captivity, and Witnessing in the Holocaust (Oxford; New York: Berghahn Books, 2009 http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title.php?rowtag=GigliottiTrain (paperback in September 2010).
- The Holocaust: a Reader (co-editor), (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2005).
Recent Publications (2009-current/forthcoming)
- (Co-author), with Marc Masurovsky, and Erik Steiner, "From the camp to the road: Representing the evacuations from Auschwitz, January 1945." In Geographies of the Holocaust, edited by Anne Kelly Knowles, Tim Cole and Alberto Giordano. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. Forthcoming 2014.
- (Co-author) (with Monica Tempian), "From Europe to the Antipodes: Acculturation and Identity of Deckston Children and Kindertransport Children in New Zealand. In: Yearbook of the Research Centre for German and Austrian Exile Studies, vol. 13, The Kindertransport 1938/39: New Developments in Research, Eds. Andrea Hammel, and Bea Lewkowicz. Amsterdam: New York: Rodopi. Vol. 13 (2012): 103-124.
- "The Voice as a Human Document: On Listening to Holocaust Survivors in Postwar Europe", Yad Vashem Studies, 40, no. 2 (2012): 217-235.
- "At the Ramp of Memory." In This Way: Covering/Uncovering Tadeusz Borowski's This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen, ed. Marco Sonzogni, Wellington, NZ: Dunmore Publishing, 2011, 32-38.
- (Co-author) with Marc Masurovsky, and Erik Steiner. "Spatial Histories of the Holocaust: Mapping the Evacuations from the Auschwitz camp system in January 1945," Medaon: Magazin fur judisches Leben in Forschung und Bildung. 4: no. 7 (2010): 1-12.
- 'Deportation transit and captive bodies: Rethinking Holocaust witnessing' in Jonathan Petropoulos (et al), Lessons and Legacies IX (Evanston: Northwestern University Press, 2010), 2010: 47-62.
- (Contributing author), 'Geographies of the Holocaust: Geographical Record', Geographical Review 99: 4 (Oct 2009): 563-574.
- “There’s no place like home”: The Illustrated Auschwitz in Adam Jones (ed), Evoking Genocide: Scholars and Activists Describe the Works That Shaped Their Lives (Toronto: Keystone Publishing, 2009): 145-147.
Contributor of book reviews to international and local journals, The American Historical Review, Australian Historical Studies, Australian Journal of Politics and History, European History Quarterly, German Studies Review, The Historian, and the Journal of Contemporary History, among others.
Editorial Board, Journal of Genocide Research
Chairperson, Holocaust Centre of New Zealand, Wellington.