Dr Jon Johansson
School of History, Philosophy, Political Science & International Relations
Phone: 04 463 6424
Location: Room 507, Murphy Building, Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
BA (Psychology/Political Science), BA(Hons), PHD VUW
Jon Johansson is a senior lecturer in Comparative Politics. In 2014 Jon is teaching two papers that reflect his domestic political interests: POLS 111 focuses on the introduction to politics and government in New Zealand. POLS 353 examines New Zealand’s 'Growing Pains,' its politics since 1975. His full-year honours class, POLS 403, which explores political leadership phenomena, returns in 2014.
Jon’s other major specialties are political leadership, political psychology, political rhetoric and US politics, most particularly the study of the presidency.
Jon, alongside co-editor Professor Stephen Levine, has most recently published Kicking the Tyres: The New Zealand General Election and Electoral Referendum of 2011. He also published in 2011 Leslie Lipson’s central study of New Zealand politics The Politics of Equality, writing a new and updated introduction to Lipson’s 1948 classic. Jon’s last sole authored book on domestic politics The Politics of Possibility: Leadership in Changing Times was published in 2009, following the publication of Two Titans: Muldoon, Lange & Leadership in 2005.
Jon spent the fall semester of 2009 in Washington DC as Fulbright’s Visiting Scholar to Georgetown University. He has published a series of feature pieces on Barack Obama in The Listener for a general readership, including:
Dr Johansson has been a veteran political analyst for New Zealand’s premier politics show Q & A, and has appeared constantly across media platforms during the past decade, most especially including election day coverage in both New Zealand and the United States. Jon’s analysis of US presidential politics and tracking the rise of Barack Obama have been recorded on Radio New Zealand's Sunday show ever since the 2008 primaries. His thoughts were also featured in 'Elephants Down Under,' a column by Thomas Friedman in The New York Times, published in March 2012.
Current Research Projects
Jon’s current research for his latest sole-authored book, U.S. Leadership in Political Time & Space, explores leadership phenomena in the United States by individuals not in formal political leadership positions. Jon and his colleague Professor Levine are also collaborating on a co-edited collection of essays on political rhetoric in the New Zealand setting. As part of that project Jon has been studying the role of rhetoric in lifting the quality and direction of race discourse, the latest in four published work that focus on aspects of race and leadership in New Zealand.
Selection of Publications
- Johansson, Jon. U.S. Leadership in Political Time: Space: Pathfinders, Patriots & Existential Heroes. New York: Palgrave Macmillan (forthcoming).
- Johansson, Jon., and Levine, Stephen. (eds.). 2012. Kicking the Tyres: The 2011 General Election and Referendum on Electoral Systems. Wellington: VUW Press.
- Johansson, Jon. 2011. 'Introduction to Lipson, Leslie'. 1948. The Politics of Equality. (2nd ed.). Wellington: VUW Press.
- Johansson, Jon. 2009. The Politics of Possibility: Leadership in Changing Times. Wellington: Dunmore Press.
- Johansson, Jon. Two Titans: Muldoon, Lange & Leadership. 2005. Wellington: Dunmore Press.
- Johansson, Jon. (Guest Editor). Political Science: Special Issue on Political Leadership in New Zealand. Vol. 56. No. 2. (December 2004).
- Johansson, Jon. 'Prime Ministers and their Parties in New Zealand,' in t'Hart, Paul et al. 2013. Understanding Prime Ministerial Performance: Comparative Perspectives. (Oxford: Oxford University Press)
- Johansson, Jon., and Levine, Stephen. 'Evaluating Prime- Ministerial Performance: The New Zealand Experience,' in t'Hart, Paul et al. 2013. Understanding Prime Ministerial Performance: Comparative Perspectives. (Oxford: Oxford University Press)
- Johansson, Jon. 'Leadership & the Election: Words, Actions & Ambivalence,' in Johansson, Jon., and Levine, Stephen. (eds.). 2012. Kicking the Tyres: The 2011 General Election and Referendum on Electoral Systems. Wellington: VUW Press.
- Johansson, Jon. '2008: Leadership during Transition,' in Stephen Levine and Nigel Roberts. (eds.). 2010. Key to Victory. Wellington: Victoria University Press.
- Johansson, Jon. 'To Thine Own Self Be True: Branding, Authenticity & Political Leadership - the Case of Don Brash,' in Lees-Marchment, Jennifer. 2009. Introduction to Political Marketing. London: Routledge, pp 135-139.
- Johansson, Jon. 'The E-mail Leader: The Obsessive-Compulsive Leadership Style of Dr. Don Brash.' Paper delivered at the Thirty-First Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology. Sciences Po. 2008. Paris, France, 9-12 July.
- Johansson, Jon. 'Jim Bolger: Helmsman,' in Special Edition of Political Science Journal on Independence & Prime Ministers in New Zealand. 2008. Vol. 60. No. 2. (December 2008).
- Johansson, Jon. 'Brash, Orewa and The Politics of Race: Critic & Conscience in a Desperate Campaign,' in Stephen Levine and Nigel Roberts. (eds.). 2007. The Baubles of Office: The New Zealand General Election of 2005. Victoria University Press.
- Johansson, Jon. 'What If Ruth Richardson Had Never Delivered the "Mother of All Budgets?"' In Stephen Levine. (ed.) 2007. New Zealand As It Might Have Been. Victoria University Press.
- Johansson, Jon. 'Orewa and the Rhetoric of Illusion,' in Special Edition of Political Science Journal on Political Leadership in New Zealand. 2005. Vol. 56. No. 2. (December 2004).