Dr Jana Von Stein
School of History, Philosophy, Political Science & International Relations
Phone: 04 463 9699
Location: Room 503, Murphy Building, Kelburn Pde, Kelburn Campus
Teaching in 2016
INTP 363 - Human Rights
• BA (UC Berkeley)
• Diplôme d’Etudes Approfondies
(Institut d’Etudes Politiques)
• PhD (UC Los Angeles)
Jana joined Victoria as a Senior Lecturer in 2013. Previously, she was an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the University of Michigan (USA). A California native, Jana has worked and studied in the USA, New Zealand, France, Switzerland, and Germany.
Jana studies international institutions – both their design and their effectiveness – and is particularly interested in human rights and environmental affairs. Her earlier research focused specifically on questions of compliance. More recently, she has been looking at the treaty ratification behavior of autocracies. Most of her research relies on some form of quantitative analysis. Jana runs the Database of UN Human Rights Agreements at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research.
Jana was the Human Rights Fellow at the Center for International and Comparative Studies in 2007-08. Her research has also been supported by the Organski Fund, the Pierce Fund, and the Rackham Graduate School at the University of Michigan.
Selection of Publications
- 'Making Promises, Keeping Promises: Democracy, Ratification, and Compliance in International Human Rights Law' forthcoming, British Journal of Political Science.
- 'Do Treaties Constrain or Screen? Selection Bias and Treaty Compliance.' American Political Science Review 99: 611-22, August 2005.
- 'The International Law and Politics of Climate Change: Ratification of the UN Framework Convention and the Kyoto Protocol.' Journal of Conflict Resolution 51: 243- 68, April 2008.
- 'International Organizations Count: What Statistics Tells Us About IOs.' Journal of Conflict Resolution 51, April 2008. Special issue and introductory article with Emilie Hafner-Burton and Erik Gartzke.
- 'The Pieces of Peacemaking: Understanding Implementation of Civil War Settlements.' Civil Wars 11: 279-301, September 2009. With Shanna Kirschner.
- 'International Law: Understanding Compliance and Enforcement.' In Robert Denemark (ed.), International Studies Compendium. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- 'The Engines of Compliance.' In Jeffrey Dunoff and Mark Pollack (eds.), Synthesizing Insights from International Law and International Relations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
Research in Progress
See Jana’s website for information on research in progress.