Please note: Information on this page relates to the 2013 academic year unless otherwise specified.
On this page:
- Undergraduate Information
- Postgraduate Information
- Professional Qualifications Information
- Management Major Attributes
- Course Learning Objectives
- How To Find Out More
- Related Subjects and Careers
- List of Courses
This subject is taught by the School of Management.
Managing is a human activity that involves both people skills and analytical skills. The study of management provides insights into the operation of organisations: from how people behave, how decisions are made, and how strategies are chosen to what provides a source of sustainable advantage, how innovations are generated, and how we achieve an effective alignment of the organisation with its environment. It introduces a multicultural perspective and addresses managing in large and small enterprises and also commercial, industrial, non-profit organisations, government-owned and operated organisations.
Management at Victoria is taught within the prestigious School of Management. As you progress in your studies, debate is encouraged, and contemporary theories and concepts are scrutinised within a solid academic framework.
Victoria's graduates in Management are found throughout the highest levels in business and government within New Zealand and internationally. The problem-solving and analytic skills you'll acquire throughout your study will prepare you for an exciting and successful career - wherever you choose.
The Management Major
The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) [previously BCA] requires:
- A total of 360 points to complete the degree (3 years full-time study).
- The completion of seven core 100-level courses: ACCY 111 or 130, ECON 130, FCOM 111, INFO 101, MARK 101, MGMT 101 and QUAN 102.
- The completion of at least one major.
The current Management major consists of the following courses:
(a) MGMT 202, 205, 206
(b) MGMT 320, three further courses from MGMT 300-399
If you began your BCA in or before 2008 please contact your Student Administration Adviser in the Faculty of Commerce to confirm your major requirements.
Postgraduate Qualifications in Management
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Management
- Master of Commerce (MCom) in Management
- PhD in Management
- Graduate Diploma in Commerce
- Master of Management Studies
Professional Qualifications in Management
- Certificate in Management Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Management Major Attributes
These are the attributes that we expect our MGMT majors to have by the time they graduate. They will be able to:
- Holistically analyse complex and ambiguous organisational situations
- Display creative and critical thinking when analysing managerial problems and proposing solutions
- Demonstrate communication skills, involving an ability to communicate clearly in written and oral form, using a range of communication vehicles and media, appropriate to a managerial or business context
- Demonstrate knowledge of local, national, and international business contexts
- Recognise, support and display leadership in a group setting
- Recognise and address ethical dilemmas, conflicts, and managerial responsibilities
- Apply a range of strategy frameworks and perspectives
- Display an understanding of behaviour in organisations in social context
- Demonstrate systems thinking in decision making and operations management
Each course has specific learning objectives that we expect students to have attained by the time that they have successfully completed the course. To see those, click on the link MGMT CLOs
You can order more information on this subject using our Request for Study Material form.
Victoria’s Student Recruitment, Admission and Orientation Office offers advice on courses and help with planning your degree.
Contact the Commerce Faculty Student Administration Office for information on Admission, qualifications and courses, course advice and selection criteria, exemptions and prerequisites and your Application to Study.
Management courses are taught within the School of Management, Level 10, Rutherford House, 23 Lambton Quay, Wellington.
Phone: 0-4-463 5381
Please note: the list below shows undergraduate-level courses only. For a complete course listing, see the list of all Management courses. You can also view the list of postgraduate Management Studies courses.
|On this page:|
|100 Level Courses|
MGMT 101 – Introduction to Management
|200 Level Courses|
MGMT 202 – Organisational Behaviour
MGMT 205 – Strategic Management
MGMT 206 – Systems Thinking and Decision Making
|300 Level Courses|
MGMT 310 – Competitive Advantage
MGMT 311 – Knowledge Management
MGMT 312 – Sustainable Operations
MGMT 313 – Strategic Operations Management
MGMT 314 – Operations and Services Management
MGMT 315 – Systems Modelling
MGMT 316 – Decision Modelling for Managers
MGMT 317 – Organisational Innovation and Change
MGMT 318 – Organisational Analysis and Design
MGMT 319 – Sport Management
MGMT 320 – Current Issues in Management
MGMT 321 – Organisations and Ethics