Office of the Vice-Chancellor
Role of the Office of the Vice-Chancellor
The role of the Office of the Vice-Chancellor is to provide high quality services to the Vice-Chancellor and, through the Vice-Chancellor, to Council, the Senior Management Team (SMT), Heads of Schools (HOS), and Directors of Central Service Units (CSUs).
These services include strategic and academic leadership, planning, policy development and compliance, risk management including the internal audit function, legislative awareness and compliance, the provision of management information and reporting and executive support.
The philosophy of the Vice-Chancellor's Office is to provide and demonstrate leadership, integrity and the highest standards of professionalism to the University community in these areas.
The key functions of the Office include:
- overall management of the academic and administrative affairs of the University;
- coordination of strategic planning;
- coordination of overall accountability to meet the University's statutory obligations;
- coordination of the activities of the various components of the University;
- management of external relations at senior management level;
- coordination and facilitation of the activities of the Council and its standing and ad hoc committees;
- provision of advice on University policies and procedures; and
- repository of information and data on matters relating to governance and senior management bodies.
Office of the Vice-Chancellor Staff
On this page:
- Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh
- Executive Assistant to the Vice-Chancellor Vicki Faint
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor Neil Quigley
- Executive Assistant to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Catherine Galuszka
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Professor Penny Boumelha
- Executive Assistant to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Susan Davies
- Executive Officer to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Jude Brown
- Chief Operating Officer Andrew Simpson
- In-House Solicitor Simon Johnson
- Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer Denise Young
- Administration Assistant/Secretary Tasha Sharp
- Secretary to Council Caroline Ward
As Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive of the University I am both its administrative and academic head, responsible to Council (of which I am also a member) for ensuring that the University carries out its statutory and contractual functions in teaching, research and community service.
I am also the employer of all staff in the University and chair of the Senior Management Team. I am also chair of the Universities New Zealand (UNZ) Committee.
Room: Hunter Building 214
Phone: 04 463 5301
I am the Executive Assistant to Professor Pat Walsh, Vice-Chancellor. My main responsibility is to contribute to the smooth operation of the Office of the Vice-Chancellor from the organisation of meetings and functions, through to correspondence, diary management, minute taking and general office administration.
I am also the Secretary of the weekly Senior Management Team meetings.
Room: Hunter Building 213A
Phone: 04 463 5301
As Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) I have responsibility for research policy, strategy and performance, as well as research scholarships, external research revenue, intellectual property and commercialisation.
I chair the Boards of Victoria Link Ltd (the commercialization company of Victoria University of Wellington), iPredict Ltd (a technology startup company), Wetox Ltd, Victoria University Press, the Adam Art Gallery Funding Trust, and the Adam Art Gallery Advisory Board. I am also a director of Te Puni Village Ltd, the holding company through which the University manages the operation of the Te Puni Village student residence.
Room: Hunter Building 303
Phone: 04 463 5083
I am Executive Assistant to Professor Neil Quigley, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research). I ensure the smooth running of the office, from the organisation of meetings and function, through to correspondence, diary management, minute-taking and general office administration. I am secretary to the University Research Committee, and to the intellectual property standing committee. I also look after grants funded through the Deputy Vice-Chancellor's (Research) office.
Room: Hunter Building 301
Phone: 04 463 5546
As Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), I am responsible for leading the implementation of the University's Learning and Teaching Strategy, Equity and Diversity Strategy, and Student Experience Strategy, and have oversight of a number of Central Service Units. Reporting units include:
- AVC (Academic)
- AVC (Pasifika)
- Student Academic Services (Student Services and Student Management Services (staff only site) formerly known as CSA)
- Centre for Lifelong Learning (formerly known as Continuing Education and Executive Development)
I chair a number of committees and groups, including:
- Equity and Diversity Committee
- Learning and Teaching Strategy Committee
- Student Experience Group
- PVC and Deans Committee
- Grievance Appeal Committee
- Centre for Lifelong Learning Management Board
- VPEP Committee
- Library and Information Services Committee
Room: Hunter Building 209
Phone: 04 463 5093
Executive Assistant to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and Team Leader, Executive Support Team Susan Davies
I am Executive Assistant to Professor Penny Boumelha, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and Team Leader, Executive Support Team in the Academic Office. In addition to my EA responsibilities I have functional responsibility for managing the flow of work and allocation of work to members of the Executive Support Team to ensure a co-ordinated approach to academic and project support.
Additionally I am Secretary to the PVC and Deans Committee, Student Experience Group and the Grievance Appeal Committee.
Room: Hunter Building 208
Phone: 04 463 5201
My role is to support the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) in a variety of policy, planning and operational matters. I also provide advice and support to the DVC (Academic) in the monitoring of the University’s Equity and Diversity Strategy, the Learning and Teaching Strategy and the Student Experience Strategy.
Room: Hunter Building 207
Phone: 04 463 5104
As Chief Operating Officer, I provide strategic leadership across many of the University’s Central Service Units, ensuring the provision of high quality services to students and staff, data analysis and reporting. I also lead the development and implementation of long-term resourcing strategies for the University, in addition to a range of other strategic responsibilities.
- Campus Services (formerly known as Facilities Management)
- Information Technology Services (ITS)
- Communications and Marketing (staff only site)
- Finance (staff only site)
- Development Office
- Legal Services
- Planning and Management Information
Room: Hunter Building 212
Phone: 04 463 5585
In-House Solicitor Simon Johnson
As In-house Solicitor my role is to provide strategic and operational advice and support on day-to-day legal matters including contractual interpretation and disputes, statutory interpretation and advice, student policy, procedures and statutes, student services matters, intellectual property, trademarking, privacy, and information technology policy and procedures.
Room: Hunter Building 213
Phone: 04 463 6551
I am Executive Assistant to Andrew Simpson, Chief Operating Officer. My main responsibility is to ensure the smooth running of the office of the Chief Operating Officer, by providing secretarial and administrative support services and undertaking direct responsibilities to support the Office.
Room: Hunter Building 222A
Phone: 04 463 9489
As Administration Assistant to the Vice-Chancellor's Office, I am responsible for assisting the Executive Assistant to the Vice-Chancellor, as well as general office administration within the VCO.
Room: Hunter Building 221
Phone: 04 463 6282
As Secretary to Council, I provide executive support to the University Council and its sub-committees, and to the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor on governance matters. My responsibilities include providing advice on University policy and protocol, and legislative compliance, and undertaking ad hoc projects and activities associated with the business of Council.
Room: Hunter Building 206
Phone: 04 463 5196