Find out what qualifications are required to undertake doctoral study at Victoria.
Academic qualification prerequisites
Holding a prerequisite qualification does not guarantee you admission to a doctoral programme at Victoria. Acceptance as a doctoral candidate will depend on your background and the availability of supervision in the area of your research interests.
New Zealand university qualifications
- a first or second class pass in an Honours or Master's degree, or
- approved evidence of adequate training and ability.
- Applicants who have a four year Bachelor’s degree graded in a four point GPA system should have a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0.
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree graded in the British system, including India, must be awarded the degree with first or upper second-class honours.
English language requirements
- TOEFL 575 with (preferably) a TWE of 5, or 237 on the computer-based test; or 90 on the internet-based test with a minimum of 20 in writing, or
- IELTS overall band of 6.5, no sub-score below 6, or
- a minimum of two ratings of 5 and two ratings of 4 in the Victoria University English Proficiency Programme test, or
- Pearson Test of English, with a score of 65 (with a communicative score of not less than 58).
- a strong interest in a substantial research project
- persistence in the face of setbacks
- willingness to respond effectively to advice and criticism
- ability to work independently
- willingness to work within the scholarly tradition
- stable financial and personal circumstances
- good writing ability.