First-year Design Orientation
On this page:
- Welcome to the School of Design
- Compulsory Orientation
- Studio Stream Preferences
- Workshop Safety Equipment Issue
The following essential information relates to the commencement of the first year of your Bachelor of Design Innovation (BDI) degree.
Your orientation will be held on Thursday, 25 February 2016 from 10am–1pm starting in Lecture Theatres 1 and 2, Level 1, Faculty of Architecture and Design, Te Aro Campus, 139 Vivian Street, Wellington.
This is your official introduction to the School of Design, and will provide valuable information about the year ahead. It also provides an opportunity to meet and greet your lecturers and fellow students. You are expected to attend.
To check the courses that you are enrolled in visit myVictoria. For first time users of myVictoria your login information can be found in your Offer of Study.
For more information please visit the School of Design.
Your courses have two components; weekly lectures, and studios/tutorials. There may be more than one studio per week, so carefully check the timetable.
Studio stream signups will be available online after orientation and the registration process will be explained to you during orientation.
Allocations are done on a 'first in, first served' basis, with absolute limits on the number accepted into each group. To sign up you need access to your student ID number.
The materials and equipment list provided contains items that you are likely to need for your first year.
You may like to discuss with your tutors and course coordinators what is needed for each of your courses. The items required for each course will be listed in each course outline.
Immediately required for Basecamp (first two weeks):
- Clutch pencil, clutch pencil sharpener, leads OR range of HB–6B / graphite pencils
- Black drawing pens (variable line weights, from fine through to 0.6 Sharpie or Stadtler pigment liner)
- Artist quality sketchbook i.e Moleskine (A5 or A4)
- Steel rule – Celco 300mm
- Craft knife
- A4 cutting matt
- Scale ruler
The following are required by the end of week two:
- A4 Zeta paper
- Eraser and eraser shield
- Coloured pencils (small selection)
- Circle template –Helix H67
- Compass (metal with wheel)
- Small pliers (with wire cutter)
Optional – but useful:
- Toolbox 400mm – G557 with insert utility tray
- Technical flexi curve (40cm)
- T-square – Taurus 500mm
- Set squares 45' and 30/60' – Helix 320mm – one of each type
During orientation you will receive modelling workshop safety equipment. This equipment includes a pair of safety glasses and earmuffs. There is no charge for these materials as it is included in your course fees.