Postgraduate Certificate in Education and Postgraduate Diploma in Education
The 60 point Postgraduate Certificate in Education and the 120 point Postgraduate Diploma in Education are nested within the 180 point Master of Education which can be completed entirely by coursework or by a combination of coursework plus a thesis or dissertation. Students are encouraged to consider enrolling in the MEd but can choose to enrol in the Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma as a first step into postgraduate study.
These programmes offer:
- a recognised postgraduate qualification
- an opportunity to upskill at your own pace
- flexible course delivery options
Classes are held in the late afternoon or as block courses over several days or weekends, or offered online, allowing you to continue with other commitments.
- A Bachelor's degree with a major in Education, Psychology, or a related discipline, or
- An approved teacher education degree or a Bachelor's degree and a Diploma of Teaching, or
- An Advanced Diploma of Teaching or Postgraduate Diploma of Teaching, or
- Evidence of sufficient educational training and experience or extensive practical, professional or scholarly experience of an appropriate kind.
- PGCertEd: 60 points from the schedule to the MEd, excluding EDUC 585.
- PGDipEd: 120 points from the schedule to the MEd, excluding EDUC 585 and 590.
The Ministry of Education offers TESSOL Scholarships for two education courses, EDUC 515 and EDUC 516, that can be credited towards a Postgraduate Certificate in Education.
- Part-time: one to two years.
- Full-time: half a year.
- Part-time: one and a half to two years.
- Full-time: one year.
Student and Academic Services Office
Faculty of Education
Level 8, Murphy Building, Kelburn Parade
Phone: 04-463 9500
For the latest information prior to enrolment, check the online Course Catalogue: