Master of Education

Victoria University offers a 180 point Master of Education programme that can be completed by course work or by a combination of coursework and a thesis or dissertation.

The programme is a great opportunity for educators, policy makers and those in related fields to complete a postgraduate qualification that can be designed to suit a specific field of interest and can be fitted around work and life commitments.

We have courses that will give you expertise in:

  • multicultural and international education
  • professional development and training
  • evaluation and assessment
  • ESOL
  • educational policy and leadership
  • teaching and learning
  • youth development.
  • Māori, Pacific and indigenous education
  • sustainability, environment and citizenship

Programme requirements

Master of Education

The Master of Education comprises:

  • EDUC 503 Research Methods (30 points)
  • plus a further 150 points from the list of courses

To enrol in EDUC 585 Dissertation (60 points) or EDUC 590 Thesis (90 points) you will need to achieve an average grade of B or above for all postgraduate course work and a B+ or better in EDUC 503.

Postgraduate Diploma in Education

The Postgraduate Diploma in Education comprises 120 points from courses numbered EDUC 503 - 584, EPSY 530 & EPSY 534.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education

The Postgraduate Certificate in Education comprises 60 points from courses numbered EDUC 503 - 584, EPSY 530 & EPSY 534.

You can find out further course details by using the Course Finder.

Entry requirements

One of the following:

  • a Bachelor's degree with a major in Education, Psychology or a related discipline,
  • an approved teacher education degree,
  • a Bachelor's degree and Diploma of Teaching from an approved institute for teacher education.

Admission and enrolment

Before you enrol at Victoria you must meet University Entrance requirements. Check that you're eligible to apply by meeting one of the admission types then follow the steps to apply before applying online.

If you're an international student, you'll have a different admission and application process.


Students should complete the degree within six years of first enrolling in it.

Transitional arrangements

If your enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (BA[Hons]) in Education and want to transfer to the 180 point Master of Education you may do so but will be required to abandon your Honours qualification. If you've completed a BA(Hons) in Education and want to enrol in this programme you must complete EDUC 503 and a further 90 points from the list of courses.

How to find out more

Student and Academic Services Office
Faculty of Education
Level 8, Murphy Building, Kelburn Parade
Kelburn Campus

Phone: 64 04-463 9500