Graduate Diploma of Teaching
(Adult Literacy and Numeracy)
On this page:
- Entry Requirements
- Programme Requirements
- Key Dates
- How To Find Out More
- List of Courses
This graduate diploma is designed for educators and trainers working, or planning to work, in adult education. It aims to develop graduates who are well prepared for teaching in diverse adult education contexts and who have the knowledge, skills and dispositions to effectively teach adults whose participation in a skilled workforce would be enhanced by the embedded study of literacy and numeracy.
The programme will emphasise the diverse needs of adult learners including Māori and Pacific Island, and the embedded study of literacy and numeracy within specific teaching and training contexts.
Classes are offered on campus with one-day blocks throughout the course.
An undergraduate degree or equivalent; or extensive practical, professional or scholarly experience of an appropriate kind.
This qualification involves full-time study for one year or part-time study over two years with a maximum of three years to complete the programme.
You must successfully complete the six courses shown below, usually in the order listed.
Two of the six courses require a practicum to be carried out either within a student's own organisation or in an arranged placement.
- EPOL 280 Adult Literacy and Numeracy: Policy, Theory and Practice
- EPOL 380 Assessment of Literacy and Numeracy in Adult Contexts
- EPSY 380 Teaching and Learning Literacy in Adult Contexts
- EPSY 381 Teaching and Learning Numeracy in Adult Contexts
- EPSY 382 Challenges for Learning and Teaching Literacy and Numeracy in Adult Contexts
- EPOL 381 Design and Evaluation of Literacy and Numeracy Interventions in Adult Learning Contexts
Closing date for applications: 10 January 2013
Start date for the programme: week of 4 March 2013
For enquiries about the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Adult Literacy and Numeracy) contact:
Student Administration Office
Faculty of Education
Level 2, Waghorn Block
Phone: 04-463 9500
For course information go to the Course Catalogue and search under the following subjects:
• For EPOL courses, select the subject Education Policy & Implementation
• For EPSY courses, select the subject Educational Psychology & Pedagogy
• For KURA courses, select the subject Education Māori Pasifika & Indigenous
|Adult Literacy and Numeracy: Policy, Theory and Practice|
|Assessment of Literacy and Numeracy in Adult Contexts|
|Design and Evaluation of Literacy and Numeracy Interventions in Adult Learning Contexts|
|Teaching and Learning Literacy in Adult Contexts|
|Teaching and Learning Numeracy in Adult Contexts|
|Challenges for Learning and Teaching Literacy and Numeracy in Adult Contexts|