On this page:
- Oracle Grants Management System (GMS)
- Finance Intranet
- Faculty Research Funding
- Research Office Intranet
- Qualtrics Online Survey Tool
- Research Master
- Ethics Applications
- Equipment Loan
- Education Research News
All applications are required to be submitted online in a software programme called Oracle GMS. An Oracle GMS Access Form needs to be first completed (select 'Web Forms - Grants Applications and Inquiry' - use the link below), authorised by your Supervisor/Manager or Head of School, and submitted to Timmy Panganiban, Oracle Help, Central Finance, RS303, Kelburn Parade or faxed to 04-463 5251. Any queries about this form can be emailed to address
Once Oracle Help have received your completed Oracle Access Form, they will contact you in approximately one week with your Oracle username and password. They will also organise an Oracle GMS training session for you. The training session will take approximately 45 minutes and it will be organised to take place during a time that suits you. Please note that Oracle GMS can only be accessed on campus.
In special circumstances, e.g. if there is any particular problem with computer access, or if the applicant is a distance student or staff member, the Supervisor/Manager or Head of School must use their own Oracle GMS username and password to submit the application on behalf of the applicant.
Oracle can be accessed here
Please keep in mind that Mac users must access Oracle via Explorer.
The following are links to the Oracle Access form and the guidelines for managing your fund:
All applicants applying for travel must read, understand, and comply with the Travel and Expenses Policy which can be downloaded from the Finance Intranet.
All University travel must be booked through the University Travel provider.
Grant holders must keep a record of all claims and payments. All financial forms can be downloaded from the Finance Intranet and once completed they must be posted by internal mail to the department specified on the form.
The following are documents found on the Finance web pages:
Timesheet (for Research Assistants).
(can be found on HR Toolkit, click on Timesheets on the right-hand menu)
Faculty Research Grants (including staff capability grants) are available from the Grants and Leaves Committee administered by Elizabeth Morris 04-463 9586.
Information regarding committees that exist within the University to service and assist with research can be found on the Research Office Intranet.
Victoria University of Wellington provides staff, post-graduate and honours students with a free online survey tool, the Qualtrics Research Suite. Qualtrics delivers the tools to create, administer and analyse data from surveys and polls.
Qualtrics is an easy to use web service that provides the functionality for all your research survey needs including:
- an intuitive interface with point and click functionality
- online reporting and data export functionality
- ability to publish reports online that update as responses are received
- one click data export into SPSS
- ability to play audio and video in surveys
- survey collaboration and sharing between colleagues and institutions.
Qualtrics can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection. Once an account has been created Qualtrics can be accessed by browsing to http://vuw.qualtrics.com and entering your account name and password.
Note: When using Qualtrics please ensure you adhere to the Universities Human Ethics Policy. Before activating your survey (making your survey public) please forward your question set to the human Ethics Committee for approval.
To learn how to create an account and more about Qualtrics, go to: http://www.victoria.ac.nz/its/staff-services/Research-Services-Catalogue.aspx
If you have any questions please contact Jonathan Flutey, address or 04-463 5488.
Susan Kaiser, the JHC Research Administrator, provides advice and support for staff. Contact her by email address or phone 04-463 9524.
Applications and guidelines are available on the Research Office website here. Faculty of Education staff and postgraduate students submit their applications to the Faculty of Education Ethics Committee. All administration for Faculty Ethics applications will now be handled by the Ethics Committee Administrator,
address in the Faculty Office, this is located in the Faculty Office (Room TE312 - Reception), phone 04-463 9500.
Please give all new ethics applications and any amendments to the administrator. If they are not available or it's after hours, please leave your application in an envelope clearly marked for "For the attention of Education Committee Administrator - Ethics" in the post slot at reception. They will also be managing any current applications being reviewed by the Faculty Ethics Committee.
Please remember that all applications should be submitted to the committee as:
- One hard copy which has been signed by all investigators listed on the application, supervisors and the Head of School.
- An email with all documents as attachments, including the application form (unsigned) and any appendices.
Please also note that:
- applicants are encouraged to have their application peer/supervisor reviewed for content and editorial issues. Please contact the Jessie Hetherington Centre for support with this process if necessary
- the process of approval takes up to three weeks to get feedback from the committee and they may advise you of required changes to your application before approval can be given - don't leave it to the last minute
- if you are required to make amendments, please submit a new complete application with all documentation attached as well as indicating on the assessment form provided, how the required changes have been addressed
- the Faculty of Education Ethics Committee cites the NZARE Code of Ethics as the default code. Please refer to the NZARE website.
- and quote "NZARE" reference and website on the application form (section 4(b))
- all pages of the application should be numbered.
A limited number of digital voice recorders are available for staff to borrow from the JHC. We also have one wireless presentation remote control. Please see Pam Ritchie in the JHC office, 04-463 9588.
To view issues of Education Research News click here.