AProf Nancy Bertler
Antarctic Research Centre
Phone: 04 463 6196
Location: Room 511, Cotton Building, Gate 7, Kelburn Parade, Kelburn Campus
BSc Ludwig Max (1997); MSc Holloway (1998); PhD Wellington (2004)
Roles and responsibilities
Under the umbrella of the Joint Antarctic Research Institute (JARI) I am jointly appointed by Victoria University of Wellington and GNS Science to lead the National Ice Core Research programme, to manage the National Ice Core Research Facility, and to lead Antarctic field deployments for our ice core research.
- RICE Chief Scientist
- Rutherford Discovery Fellow
- Objective Leader - Antarctic Climate Archives
- Objective Leader - Ross Sea Climate and Ecosystem
- Member of Taki Ao - Catalyst Group of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
- Field Leader for 13 Antarctic Field Deployments since 1999
- Victoria University Mentor since 2010.
Current graduate students
- Rachel Corran (PhD)
- Lukas Eling (PhD)
- Katelyn Johnson (PhD)
- Abhijith Ulayottil Venugopal (PhD)
- Hannah Brightley (MSc)
- Chair of Steering Committee - AntClim21
- Steering Committee Member New Zealand ITASE (International Trans-Antarctic Scientific Expedition)
- Steering Committee Member IPICS (International Partnerships in Ice Core Science)
- Steering Committee Member Polar to Tropical Connections Institute
- Member of the SCAR Standing Scientific Group on Physical Sciences.
- Roosevelt Island Climate Evolution (RICE) Project
The principle focus of this project is to improve our understanding on the stability of the Ross Ice Shelf and West Antarctic Ice Sheet in a warming world and implications for global sea level change.
- Antarctic Climate Change in the 21st Century
AntClim21 is one of six flagship research programmes hosted by SCAR (Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research). The principle focus of this programme is how the Antarctic / Southern Ocean environment will change over the 21st Century and beyond. AntClim21 can also be followed on Facebook via SCAR Antarctic Climate 2100.
- Antarctic Climate Archives Programme
This objective contributes to the GNS Science led research programme Global Change through Time (PI Dr Chris Hollis) and focuses on the analysis and interpretation of high resolution climate archives from Antarctica and the integration of these records with records from the Southern Ocean and New Zealand over the past ~100,000 years.
- New Zealand ITASE
This long established programme focuses on the reconstruction of the Antarctic / Southern Ocean environment over the past 200 years to extend the observational record beyond the anthropogenic influence.
- Antarctic - New Zealand Interglacial Extremes (ANZICE)
This project focuses on the Antarctic - New Zealand - Southern Ocean interactions to provide improved projections for New Zealand in a warming world.
- Polar to Tropical Connections
This virtual institute focuses on tropical / polar drivers of Southern Hemisphere climate variability, trends, and feedbacks.
- Ross Sea Climate and Ecosystem Response
This objective contributes to the NIWA-led research programme (PI Dr David Bowden) which focuses on marine ecosystem vulnerability to climate variability.