Joan Stevens Hall
A first-year hall in the central city, Joan Stevens is committed to developing a culture that encourages involvement, responsibility and achievement.
Operated by Victoria University of Wellington
- Overview: A high-rise building housing 242 residents with mostly single bedrooms. There are a small number of en-suite bedrooms for those with a particular need.
- Bedrooms: All bedrooms are fully furnished and heated with internet access.
- Communal areas: All 11 floors have a large common room with a kitchenette, study area, television, DVD player and couches at the centre of each floor.
- Distance: Joan Stevens’ central location means it is a 10-minute walk to Kelburn Campus, five-minute walk to Pipitea Campus and a 15-minute walk to Te Aro Campus. We have 24/7 camera surveillance around the perimeter and swipe card access is required to enter the building.
|Room Type||Weekly||38 Weeks|
Fees quoted are for 2015 and may change for 2016.
- Fee includes electricity, heating, internet and water charges.
- The accommodation fees are payable in advance in four instalments throughout the academic year. If you do not have a New Zealand financial guarantor then you are required to pay for each trimester upfront.
- The Residential Assistants provide academic help, care, and support, and live on-site.
- Regular events are held and study groups are available. Exercise is promoted to encourage a balanced lifestyle
- An architecture and design space is provided.
- Facilities are available for students with disabilities.
- Catering: The communal dining room serves three meals a day from Monday to Saturday and brunch and dinner on Sundays. Vegetarian options, late dinners and packed lunches are also available. Kitchenettes on each floor have a zip, microwave and fridge.
- Telephone: Every floor has a telephone with free local calling.
- Internet: Wireless internet is available hall-wide and usage is through the University.
- Furniture: Basic furniture and whiteware is provided by Joan Stevens Hall. For a list of chattels provided, please view their Resident Handbook. Items that are not provided by the hall will need to be supplied by the residents.
- Laundry: Communal coin-operated laundries consisting of washing machines, dryers and tubs are provided.
- Parking: Residents can store bicycles in a safe area. Secure carparking is also available at cost.
- Other facilites: Sky lounge with 3D plasma/home theatre, music room with piano and electronic drum kit, table tennis and pool table, and gaming equipment are available.
Please note that items in the photos, other than what is provided by Joan Stevens Hall, are the students' own.